Silver Dollars in the mail (pictures)

04 Diesel

Sep 13, 2006
Waterloo Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites 6000/D Series 2/ GTA 1000 Power Master
My daughter and son in law are in the Army and in Afghanistan, they know I collect coins. They got me some coins about three weeks ago, from an Afghanistan boy. They sent them to me in the mail, got them today. I am very excited, when I opened the package there are three Silver dollars that came out. The first is a 1889 Morgan Silver dollar, the second is a 1877 Trade dollar, the third is a 1799 Draped Bust silver dollar! They payed three dollars for all of the coins. Why would a Afghanistan boy have American silver dollars? I will try to get some pictures up soon, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

• Silver dollars.jpg
    Silver dollars.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,626
  • tails silver dollars.jpg
    tails silver dollars.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,630
Upvote 0
Re: Silver Dollars in the mail

Yeah, what would a little kid be doing with them? Be interesting to hear more on why he had them. Oh & I hope your daughter & son-in-law are safe & sound!

Chris

check to see if they stick to a magnet

Get as many as possible!

can you post a pic please ......hows there condion ?

nice job on the silver!!!!! ;D Hope your daughter and son in law are staying safe! :)

Can you post pics? There have been a lot of fakes put out there, especially the Trade and Bust dollars. Could also be silver bullion rounds. Check the weight, text and images against those provided in the Red Book for a start. Perhaps your luck is better than most.

pinebarrens1 said:
can you post a pic please ......hows there condion ?

I will try to put pictures up soon, the condition is good on all three.

Good find but I have a few that I got in Iraq and they where fake but didnt stick to a magnet. Hope your love ones are safe maybe ask for ancient coins.

IAsoldier said:
Good find but I have a few that I got in Iraq and they where fake but didnt stick to a magnet. Hope your love ones are safe maybe ask for ancient coins.

How did you know that they are fake?

When I was in the Republic of Panama I found alot of old US coins and foreign coins, I accumalated a nice collection for nearly nothing, If they are real the kid probably thought they where not worth even a dollar because of there age, I have seen it before and done the same thing. Good luck on recieving more in the future. JYD.

Compare your 1799 to this one.

Attachments

• 1799_silver_dollar_b06_obv.jpg
    1799_silver_dollar_b06_obv.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,714
  • 1799_silver_dollar_b06_rev.jpg
    1799_silver_dollar_b06_rev.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,741
Hate to spoil your nice mail coins but they are 100% FAKE. I recieved some seated dollars from Irac
that were fake. Take them to your nearest coin dealer get his or her opinion. If your still not satisfied
send one into a certification co. Hope those soldiers get home fast,safe and sound.

Novaman said:
Hate to spoil your nice mail coins but they are 100% FAKE. I recieved some seated dollars from Irac
that were fake. Take them to your nearest coin dealer get his or her opinion. If your still not satisfied
send one into a certification co. Hope those soldiers get home fast,safe and sound.

They are all fake?!

Nice surprise to receive in the mail. I'm pretty sure that the 1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar is a fake. The nose,cheek bone and chin is to large. The point of the nose should be directly across from the third star on the right side, looking at your picture it directly across from the second star on the right. Approximately 395,000 1799 dollars were minted. Get them checked by a coin dealer.

i live in southeast asia 5-6 months a year and i see a lot of these old coins for sale cheap, needless to say they are being made as fast as the're sold. be very carefull when it comes to these coins.

I can tell you this with 100% certainty. The Morgan dollar is a counterfeit. Sorry to break the news.

thrillathahunt said:
I can tell you this with 100% certainty. The Morgan dollar is a counterfeit. Sorry to break the news.
How can you tell?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back