Silver coins

When I was in Maryland, any where I could put a coil to the ground produced something. My home town of Hagerstown was either union or confederate camps for most of the war. Here in Georgia I do a lot of research during the summer months to find new sites to hunt. Mostly farms but, occasionally old yards.
ftriffytri: Thank you! Would you be willing to share a little more about searching farm sites and old yards? Do you start around the house? Do you look for cache sites ("posthole banks") at the same time? When I was living in the Midwest, one could often identify the site of a former farm house by looking for rose bushes in a field. Do you have any tips for searching old yards?

You are proving my point that where one looks is a crucial factor in success. And you are obviously successful.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

ftriffytri: Thank you! Would you be willing to share a little more about searching farm sites and old yards? Do you start around the house? Do you look for cache sites ("posthole banks") at the same time? When I was living in the Midwest, one could often identify the site of a former farm house by looking for rose bushes in a field. Do you have any tips for searching old yards?

You are proving my point that where one looks is a crucial factor in success. And you are obviously successful.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
I usually start along the edges of any sidewalks and then around flower beds in the front yard. I end up sweeping the whole yard before moving to the sides and back. Again I will start around a sidewalk if there is one, I also look for a good spot for a clothesline and any shade trees. If the house ids built up on piers I try to work my coil under the house anywhere I can, Plus I will shine a flashlight under the house because old bottles and other relics may be found there.

fyrffytr1 - Thank you for a very informative response! I do appreciate it.​

One tip I picked up years ago. If you come across an old, abandoned vehicle, look through what's left of the seat cushions, in and under the springs, etc. From time to time, loose lost change can be found there.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back