Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends!

I hit a couple of my local colonial haunts this week, which have definitely been picked over hard by MANY detectorists over the years, but I still managed to scratch out a few decent finds. Today was a special occasion, too: I found my first regimental button!

Since today was the only day on the forecast this week that was on the cooler side, I decided to pound one of the really grueling spots I detect on occasion: an old British infantry camp circa 1758-1777 perched on some rugged sloping terrain, which has produced some decent finds in the past, provided you're ready to work. Today I decided to hunt super slow and really attempt to work a grid (not easy considering the landscape) and it really paid off. This "hunted out" site keeps giving!

The highlight of the day was when I hit a relatively strong signal about 7 inches down (everything here is deep -- about 6.5 to 8 inches on average). The target was between two trees -- a perfect spot that less meticulous hunters might overlook. I got excited as I started to dig, then felt a little deflated when I retrieved what looked at first to be a crumpled bit of tin. However on closer inspection I realized it was the silver front to a bone-backed regimental button! At home I carefully unfolded the metal, revealing a perfectly beautiful "29" for the 29th Regiment!

I also retrieved a couple of musket balls, some small lead shot, a plain button, lead scrap, rosette nails and some other miscellaneous items. The butterfly hinge was found this week at another British camp circa 1758 about a half mile from where I found the button today.

This is why you never give up on a "hunted out" spot!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• IMG_7192 SM.jpg
    IMG_7192 SM.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7193 SM.jpg
    IMG_7193 SM.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 1
Thanks Crusader! Now if only I had a machine that could find the bone backing! :laughing7:

How do you like the Deus?

I have the lesser model XP Goldmaxx Power, no need to try the Deus until I have cleared my sites, & I have many to clear. However, I know for sure from expert users that its streets ahead of most machines.

I have the lesser model XP Goldmaxx Power, no need to try the Deus until I have cleared my sites, & I have many to clear. However, I know for sure from expert users that its streets ahead of most machines.

Why would you use it after clearing your sites? The Deus offers greater depth? It seems the wireless tech is the selling point...

Why would you use it after clearing your sites? The Deus offers greater depth? It seems the wireless tech is the selling point...

The stock coil goes no deeper than my 11" on my XP Goldmaxx, that is why. Plus why dig deeper (if I got the larger coil for the Deus) when you have thousands of targets on top? (speed is the secret of field hunting)

The stock coil goes no deeper than my 11" on my XP Goldmaxx, that is why. Plus why dig deeper when you have thousands of targets on top? (speed is the secret of field hunting)

No argument there! Usually I'm quite pleased with targets in the 4.5 inch - 6 inch depth range.

That is an awesome find!!!!

No argument there! Usually I'm quite pleased with targets in the 4.5 inch - 6 inch depth range.

I do ploughed fields & 80% of the finds are 3-4 inches, if not they will be next year.

In ploughed fields you don't need a deeper detector, just need the plough to go through again. It's only good for one day but certainly turns up some stuff, at least the first time or two, and of course depends on all the other factors. In the long run I don't see a deeper detector getting as many extra finds as most people think it would. Now for undisturbed ground like pasture land, every mm counts!

Another great find upstate find Brendan!From the type of rugged terrain work you,you really earn your keep.

Another great find upstate find Brendan!From the type of rugged terrain work you,you really earn your keep.

Thanks, Tom! You're not kidding about the terrain -- rocky hilltops make a great spot to park some cannon, but detecting them sure isn't easy. I'm just glad this time I came home with something other than body aches and poison ivy. :laughing7:

How are you? Find anything cool lately? If you talk to Joe G., send him my best!

Cheers,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back