Sifter Ideas Needed

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m looking at building a shaker box/sifter for on land, maybe the hardware cloth and 1x4 style with folding legs. I would like it to fold up and be fairly man portable without having to assemble it in the field. What have y’all found that works or doesn’t work for you? I’ll be sifting sand to clay soils and be digging with wife and small kiddos. If you have pics, links, or other ideas feel free to post thanks!

Upvote 1
There are many designs. If you want truly portable then one of the two legged variety with attached screen shaker box may fit your needs. In the past, when I was on digs that were going to be in one location for awhile, I welded up a light angle iron frame with 4 folding legs, the angle iron served as tracks for the screen shaker box that was a 2x4 frame with narrow hard rubber wheels on the corners. 1/4" screen is about minimum the limit for clay and topsoil. If you are on a woodland sandy site, then 1/8" screen may be needed to catch the smaller beads and such. If you're really lucky and work a large late woodland site with running water available you may want to do something like this. This was a 14/15th century Pleistocene beach ridge site up south of Lake Erie. Spent a couple years there and water screened many tons of sand.

Attachments

• ensignscreens.jpg
    ensignscreens.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 28
I built one that floats cost was around $50 and it is lite in weight and portable. The owner said I could try it out which I did. Just to many rocks. My back hurt and I didn’t find anything. It went in the garage lol

Thanks for all the comments! I have always hunted creeks and used floating ones made of pvc and screen, but I was on a hillside at our deer camp and found a couple of points and some flakes. I’m heading up there tomorrow to dig some test pits and see if there was a camp nearby. Ill put something together today and I’ll post if I find anything tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments! I have always hunted creeks and used floating ones made of pvc and screen, but I was on a hillside at our deer camp and found a couple of points and some flakes. I’m heading up there tomorrow to dig some test pits and see if there was a camp nearby. Ill put something together today and I’ll post if I find anything tomorrow.
If the creek is close you can always carry the bucket to the creek and use the floater style. Mine was pcp with a pool noodle wrapped around it and zip tied came out nice but just to many rocks to do it in my area. Hope you find something

I went to the beach with a guy who brought a 5 gallon bucket and a honeybee screening setup. He altered the one screen to be a little less fine but it sifted fast and I was impressed.

I do honeybees at home and have the same gear but it would not work here, living in an area of Pa...forget it. Dig, ROCK, dig, CLAY ROCK, break fingers trying to dig...ROCK.

Now it's not all like that but it's bad. Maybe that's why I started petroglyph research...it's easier than digging.

I went to the beach with a guy who brought a 5 gallon bucket and a honeybee screening setup. He altered the one screen to be a little less fine but it sifted fast and I was impressed.

I do honeybees at home and have the same gear but it would not work here, living in an area of Pa...forget it. Dig, ROCK, dig, CLAY ROCK, break fingers trying to dig...ROCK.

Now it's not all like that but it's bad. Maybe that's why I started petroglyph research...it's easier than digging.
I’m more of a bee catcher/buyer than a bee keeper lol. What screen were you referring to?

This is my sifter. His sifter was three pieces with an altered screen in the one to make it less fine.

The expanding wire part allows you to adjust it on the bucket that you use and hold it in place. I have two different size buckets. I use for my bees, which are a 5 gallon bucket, and then the food grade buckets.

But he used this exact type, and had changed the one screen, so that it let larger material fall through. I believe he removed the original fine material and had installed a different screen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back