Short Hunt at old Fairgrounds Key Date V nickel & a gun!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Short Hunt at old Fairgrounds Key Date V nickel & a gun!

After reading about Bryce & Nick's weekend hunt, and seeing all the other finds.....
Even though it was 37 degrees and windy I just hadda get out for an hour to the old fairgrounds.

Since it was my night to make dinner I promised to be home by 7.

Raced home for the Quattro, and headed for the fairgrounds. Not a long trip, I'm only a mile from home when I'm at work, and the Fairgrounds isn't more than a mile from home.

Decided to go back out in the woods where I found the coin spills and Boy Scout slide. Weeds are dying off so I can get to the ground, without the weeds over my waist.

Within a couple of minutes I was far enough into the woods to the area that I've been having pretty good luck in. Got a mid tone, about where rings etc. come out. When I pinpointed I could tell it was quite small, and down about 6 or 7 inches. Dig. Up comes a little blob.
wiped it off, and I was holding a little lead gun. Trinket from the old fair? Very soft. Was bent almost to a horseshoe shape. Hmmm?

Next I found 2 twin 1968 memorial cents, at nearly 8 inches. Within 10 minutes I get a nickel hit. Not very deep, maybe 5 or 6 inches.
Decided to dig it up out of the tree roots. When I got it I thought it may be a Buff, so covered with junk that I could see nothing. Threw it in the bag to clean up at home.

Time was running out, so I just checked the area around the nickel and then went home to feed the crew.

After dinner I decided to clean up the nickel and see what I had. Little soap and water, suddenly I was looking at a V nickel! My first.

Decided to use some amonial and q-tips. It seems to work so well for Ohio Jerry, I thought it was my best bet.
Pretty worn, but there it was! 1886! Wahooooo!

Sat around all night wondering if maybe I should put on my headlamp and go back out! Park is closed at night. Just thought it might not be good for a city commissioner to get caught in the park after hours.

Tonight is getting ready for all the kids. Tomorrow night is handing out candy. Hmmmm. No more until Saturday. But I'm pretty sure I know where I'll be hunting then! I am just Geeked!

HH
Mark

Attachments

• Vnickel & gun.jpg
    Vnickel & gun.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,220
Upvote 0
Re: Short Hunt at old Fairgrounds Key Date V nickel & a gun!

Nice find Mark :thumbsup: You have just "one upped" me...because I haven't dig a v nickel yet this year ::)
I always concentrate on the mid to higher hits on my SE...and don't take the time to pay much attention to the lower conductors. Nice dig bro :thumbsup:

Nice digs. Pretty good condition on the V nickel. Most I've seen are almost unrecognizable when they come out of the ground.

DCMatt

Amazing. I just dug an 1886 V Nickel. I think I need to clean it better but it still will not come out as nice as yours. Very Sweet. :icon_sunny:

The gun is cool too.

Bob

Nice finds Mark!
It's gonna be a long couple of days for you I bet. ;D
Good luck out there!
Mike

Thanks Bryce
I don't dig many nickels. Mostly when I am in an area like this one where there is very little trash, and if the signal seems the right size for a coin. This year only a couple of clads, 2 war nickels and 2 Buffs. Just wish I could pin down that deep silver like you do!

Thanks, Matt

Thank you Bob! Congrats on your 1886 too! This is my first V. I thought it was in pretty bad shape. I was really happy to see a legible year. With my jewler's loop I can read Liberty too. That really surprised me.

Nick,
Thank you. "V" may be for "Very Splendid" but "E" is for "Excellent Example" which is what you are. An excellent example of what makes this a great hobby with some excellent participants!

Thanks Mike,
Here I am looking out the window, watching the sun shine!

HH
Mark

Nice job, Mark.
Still looking for my first V as well.
Sounds like the weeds are dying off good up there.
I just hope by the time I get North, there's not too much snow.

Makton

People are starting a run of key date V-Nickels, as Monty Burns says, "excellent"

Awesome date $$$$$$$ :thumbsup:
And it is still in pretty good shape :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Just think you just might find its Daddy (1885) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Best of luck on your next outing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

BURRR well at least it was worth it :thumbsup:

That's a great nickel find, Mark!!

It sure is getting cold back East. I detected in 70 degree weather under cloudy skies today. ;D\

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Nice V nickel Mark. Haven't found one of those since I left New Mexico. Found
a couple of them at an old mining site in southern New Mexico.
I really like the pistol also. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Congrats on your first V, Mark!! That's in great shape and a great date, too

That little toy gun is outstanding!!! :thumbsup:

Nice finds. Congrats on the V- nickel.
Dman

Thanks Everybody!

So, I couldn't wait to go back out. I put on my headlamp and went back out in the woods near where I found the nickel.
Came up so empty handed! Walking back out, slowly. I get a nice hit in a part of the woods that is so full of trash and thick brush even I don't hunt there. Up comes a 1916 S Barber Dime. I will post it later. But now I just have to hunt that nasty trashy area.

Mark

Nice finds!

Nice find, I found a real nice 1886 V several years ago, it's probably my most valuable coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back