Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this may not be the best place to post this; service dogs are not strictly "pets". Don't know where else to post it.

Despite having two previous service dogs without harnesses, our trainer/behaviorist is recommending we get harnesses this time around for our two Labradors in-training.

We're looking for harnesses that will help with our stability when walking (among other things).

If anyone uses this type of harness, or has experience with them, we could use some recommendations or guidance. There's so much out there, it's a bit daunting/overwhelming.

Thanks

Are you looking for a service dog harness or a guide dog harness?

Thank you for responding! 😁
Are you looking for a service dog harness or a guide dog harness?
Yes. To elucidate....

Neither of us are blind (🤞🏼), so not strictly a guide dog, and no wheelchairs (🤞🏼), but we both need help with our balance when out & about walking (currently use canes >50% of the time), and in getting up from the ground if/when necessary (💩 happens, right?)

The dogs (will) do a lot more, but in terms of walking/"working", after evaluating the 4 of us (Missus, self, 2 smelly Labs) the behaviorist/trainer strongly suggested this type of harness:

Image search: service dog harness for balance
I hope you can see our dilemma; the choices/options are daunting/overwhelming for us newbs to these kinds of harnesses. 😱

Last edited:
But my first thought would be a "direct connection" to the dog like a guide dog harness. Something to lean into or pull back on without anything else moving except the dog. I believe it would be more stable for you if needed. Not a single rod from the harness with a T-handle but a double rod from harness with a wide handle connecting them for the grip. Something that will not twist but be more stable if a few pounds are put on it from any direction. Maybe even a "custom" handle" attached with zip ties....?

But my first thought would be a "direct connection" to the dog like a guide dog harness. Something to lean into or pull back on without anything else moving except the dog. I believe it would be more stable for you if needed.
Yes, that is (primarily) the type shown in the image search.

Not a single rod from the harness with a T-handle but a double rod from harness with a wide handle connecting them for the grip.
IDT I've even seen one with a T handle. 🤔

Something that will not twist but be more stable if a few pounds are put on it from any direction. Maybe even a "custom" handle" attached with zip ties....?
I'm sure what we need is out there. Like everything else, there's a HUGE range of price & quality, features (e.g. handle in front vs. handle in rear, rigid handle vs. semi-rigid, nylon vs. leather.... )

1728393098854.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back