1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240714_153029[1].jpg
    20240714_153029[1].jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240714_183037[1].jpg
    20240714_183037[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Upvote 13
Awesome find. I believe it's a coin as l see some details on the edge. Others will post on the best way to clean it but keep it in some of the same water you found it, then slowly change the water over to tap water.

Very cool! I’d get a quick electrolysis set up on it.
I have never done that before..... but I guess that is one thing google is probably good for.
Thanks.

Awesome find. I believe it's a coin as l see some details on the edge. Others will post on the best way to clean it but keep it in some of the same water you found it, then slowly change the water over to tap water.
What kind of time frame do you recomend on the change, and how will it affect the object or material on it?

TIA

I have no idea but others more experienced than l can comment.
@ARC
You can do a small electrolysis setup... which would be the wisest way to go... just in case its something of the rarer realm.
If you can tell its a Morgan dollar or Peace dollar or the likes... then trying to break off a chunk usuing just bare hands would be not out of question... but from here i cannot make out anything.
It does to me also appear to be a coin... just what coin is the question...

I would Try gently breaking off the larger part if ya cant wait using only your hands fingers to get a "sneak peek" at what might be.
I don't think you would damage / devalue anything if it crumbled easily.

If not..... then yes...... setup electro.

You can do a small electrolysis setup... which would be the wisest way to go... just in case its something of the rarer realm.
If you can tell its a Morgan dollar or Peace dollar or the likes... then trying to break off a chunk usuing just bare hands would be not out of question... but from here i cannot make out anything.
It does to me also appear to be a coin... just what coin is the question...

I would Try gently breaking off the larger part if ya cant wait using only your hands fingers to get a "sneak peek" at what might be.
I don't think you would damage / devalue anything if it crumbled easily.

If not..... then yes...... setup electro.
Thank you sir.

Last edited:
I am not yet sure what I found today.
Found close to 2' deep at the base of a sandbar on Padre Island.
Rings up 52-53 on my Manticore, no indication of ferrous material.
Appears to me to be a bout the size of a half dollar coin.
I wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me before I start to clean material off of it.

Thanks.
Update...even if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it is not always a duck. What appeared to be a coin, is a piece of modern brass.
Once I could see it was not a coin, I took a hammer to it to break off the remaining rock hard deposits. I have to assume any brass piece will form these rock hard deposits.

Attachments

• 20240716_081029.jpg
    20240716_081029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240717_144757.jpg
    20240717_144757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240717_144847.jpg
    20240717_144847.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Interesting result. But you just had a fun adventure!

It's part of a door handle lock assembly.
Forget the name- backing plate?
Yes, I have put enough door handles on to have recognized the name. I has an unusual offset, but no doubt that is what it is.

I’m quite new to all of this, but purified water would seem to make much more sense, because of the amount of chlorine and fluoride and medications.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back