42.9 KB · Views: 2,186
  • rocks n stuff 002.JPG
    rocks n stuff 002.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,182
  • rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,182
Upvote 0
I still agree with the geologist that it's just a cool rock. A friendly question for the guys who think it's man made.... If the line around the rock was carved in as a decoration what are the chances it broke exactly on that line and perfectly flat like it did ? I think the line in the rock was a natural flaw.

Upvote 0
NHBandit said:
I still agree with the geologist that it's just a cool rock. A friendly question for the guys who think it's man made.... If the line around the rock was carved in as a decoration what are the chances it broke exactly on that line and perfectly flat like it did ? I think the line in the rock was a natural flaw.

NH Bandit, it is not the line around the rock, it is the incised lines on the top node or head that appears to have a facial structure to them. I have highlighted it in the picture I posted with it. Look at it carefully and you will see what appears to be a face carved in it.

Upvote 0
It COULD have been a naturally occurring planar fracture point. Or it could have been a weakened area due to the incision of the line.

The point is: Take it to a professional BEFORE you break it!

Upvote 0
Get-the-point said:
I have just stumbled upon this and I find the most heart-wrenching of posts. The evidence was before you, people are allowed to make educated guesses. What I see here is a tragedy!! This was a Native American Artifact (Effigy) lines purposely incised in the piece and now it is broken in half. Telling a person to destroy a item on a hunch or a educated guess from another without that person saying it here was dumb. You have taken an item that had a high value price tag on it and made it into a second hand field find. Great Job...........You should have listened to the person stating it was a artifact. You could have saved yourself a couple of thousand in loss................GTP :icon_scratch:

That is speculative at best...more likely "just a rock".

Upvote 0
The main issue here is that it is an unknown rock,coprolite,artifact,fossil that was broken open as a "test" to see what it is. Get the point made a valid point by arguing the way in which it was handled. It's clear that get the point touched a nerve,but you gotta understand our view on breaking ANY unknown object.Especially based on photography and opinions.It's just not a good habit.It's one thing if someone just doesn't care,but there's quite a few hearts that broke to see an even potential artifact or fossil broken.And it doesn't even need to be worth thousands. I can't seem to find the original posters name during my reply,but i doubt she woulda broken it open if she knew for sure that it was an ancient artifact.Can anyone DEFINITLY id this now that it's been broken open.I hope so. PALEO

Upvote 0
paleoheadhunter said:
The main issue here is that it is an unknown rock,coprolite,artifact,fossil that was broken open as a "test" to see what it is. Get the point made a valid point by arguing the way in which it was handled. It's clear that get the point touched a nerve,but you gotta understand our view on breaking ANY unknown object.Especially based on photography and opinions.It's just not a good habit.It's one thing if someone just doesn't care,but there's quite a few hearts that broke to see an even potential artifact or fossil broken.And it doesn't even need to be worth thousands. I can't seem to find the original posters name during my reply,but i doubt she woulda broken it open if she knew for sure that it was an ancient artifact.Can anyone DEFINITLY id this now that it's been broken open.I hope so. PALEO

I can identify it as a sedimentary concretion. But I can not identify whether or not the outside surface had been altered by man.
You can see what appears to be iron mineralization along the area exposed by the fracture but that may only be a stain due to seepage.
The composition appears to be limestone and calcite from looking at the photo.

freds bowtie and more 009.JPG

Upvote 0
artzstuff1 said:
I would say it is or was,,, an human effigy of some kind but now a busted human effigy :'( :'( :'( :'(!!!!

sorry!!! might have been a valuable artifact!!! :dontknow:

I agree with artzstuff1, if I found something that I was unsure what is was and it had such a shape as it does; I would not risk the loss of an ancient artifact based on what someone on this forum or any forum would tell me (it's not theirs, so what's the loss), I would have it evaluated by someone as a "hands on" event. jmho

Upvote 0
Regardless of what it is, breaking it open served no purpose. If it is carved, then there would be nothing of note inside. If it had never been touched by human hands, well, see my post with the link above as to what you would find breaking it open.

Upvote 0
I haven't read every post but I think you can have it xrayed if your serious or are willing to spend some money. May be worth it before you break it.

Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
Get-the-point said:
I have just stumbled upon this and I find the most heart-wrenching of posts. The evidence was before you, people are allowed to make educated guesses. What I see here is a tragedy!! This was a Native American Artifact (Effigy) lines purposely incised in the piece and now it is broken in half. Telling a person to destroy a item on a hunch or a educated guess from another without that person saying it here was dumb. You have taken an item that had a high value price tag on it and made it into a second hand field find. Great Job...........You should have listened to the person stating it was a artifact. You could have saved yourself a couple of thousand in loss................GTP :icon_scratch:

That is speculative at best...more likely "just a rock".
:icon_thumleft: :read2:

Upvote 0
Sure looks like Coprolite to me. Fossilized feces, dino doo doo, petrified poo. Could also just be a concretion. Can you see any tiny structures inside using a loupe? Tiny structures would indicate plant material which would be typical in Coprolites. Also, was it found in an area that might have fossilized marine animals? How about fossilized land animals?

Upvote 0
dino poo??? how do you tell it feels like stone. near where i found this rock someone found a piece of petrified wood , that he found out is a piece of lepindendron (sp) .could it be that old??

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back