rocks n stuff 001.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,186
  • rocks n stuff 002.JPG
    rocks n stuff 002.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,182
  • rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,182
ok here it is broken open.i tapped the side lighty on concrete and it broke right in half.

i think i made a mistake though.Upon closer inspection , (by younger eyes that mine :laughing7:) , it has like small goldish ,metalic spots , on the outside.Like it make have been coated in something possibly .Unfortunately i don't know how much i rubbed off handling it, not much left .I am thinking about scrubbing it with a small brush to clean it .That way i can get a good look at the markings,still can't decide.

I might try and send it/take it someplace to be looked at.

Attachments

• freds bowtie and more 009.JPG
    freds bowtie and more 009.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,454
Upvote 0
gods country girl said:
ok here it is broken open.

i think i made a mistake though.Upon closer inspection , (by younger eyes that mine :laughing7:) , it has like small goldish ,metalic spots , on the outside.Like it make have been coated in something possibly .Unfortunately i don't know how much i rubbed off handling it.I am not going to clean it any more, and i will try to take it/send it someplace to be looked at.

Oh well, would have been nice to see some shinny stuff inside, but its a lottery with these. Don't worry about the coating, it just means it was a priceless mother goddess :laughing9:

Upvote 0
I have seen, in the past, this general nodule shape and form in a number of stone types. As was stated before, in sandstone, because of a hematite(iron) presence, also chert occasionally forms in such shapes in limestone. Limestone nodules as such form in limestone layers locally and are related to the chert, minus the silicification. I have also seen in rock shops similar shapes of calcareous sinter(tufa). And last, it resembles calcite/aragonite nodules formed in calm pools in limestone caverns. Your break was pretty predictable and does not really show the nature of its internal structure. You should give an edge a firm hit with a hammer or another rock from the flat(seam) surface outward and take off a decent chip. If you hit it from an outer surface inward it is more likely to fracture unpredictably. If it is sandstone it will be obvious, if chert it will be sharp and hard, if plain limestone it will be grey and bland, scratchable, and consistant of grain, if tufa, ya got me, and if the cave stuff, it will likely be concentrically banded, kinda pretty, kinda soft and workable with dremel tool and sandpaper(wet). As far as it being an indian tool or effigy, it is not, but it should be noted that they occasionally did pick up stuff that looked cool, simply because it looked cool, just like we do. Evidence of that may be where you found it. Such things can sometimes only be determined by inferrence. Just another opinion and thanks for linking this post to rocks and gems, that is where I found it. C

Upvote 0
chadrack said:
I have seen, in the past, this general nodule shape and form in a number of stone types. As was stated before, in sandstone, because of a hematite(iron) presence, also chert occasionally forms in such shapes in limestone. Limestone nodules as such form in limestone layers locally and are related to the chert, minus the silicification. I have also seen in rock shops similar shapes of calcareous sinter(tufa). And last, it resembles calcite/aragonite nodules formed in calm pools in limestone caverns. Your break was pretty predictable and does not really show the nature of its internal structure. You should give an edge a firm hit with a hammer or another rock from the flat(seam) surface outward and take off a decent chip. If you hit it from an outer surface inward it is more likely to fracture unpredictably. If it is sandstone it will be obvious, if chert it will be sharp and hard, if plain limestone it will be grey and bland, scratchable, and consistant of grain, if tufa, ya got me, and if the cave stuff, it will likely be concentrically banded, kinda pretty, kinda soft and workable with dremel tool and sandpaper(wet). As far as it being an indian tool or effigy, it is not, but it should be noted that they occasionally did pick up stuff that looked cool, simply because it looked cool, just like we do. Evidence of that may be where you found it. Such things can sometimes only be determined by inferrence. Just another opinion and thanks for linking this post to rocks and gems, that is where I found it. C
Now that's what I call an (rocking) explanation! :tongue3:
Thanks for the lesson!

Upvote 0
This thread actually inspired the wife & I to buy a geode yesterday at a local Mica mine that's now open to the public for tours & rock collecting. http://www.rugglesmine.com/ They sell them in the gift shop and as soon as you pick one up you can tell from the weight that they are hollow. Looking for the best way to have it cleanly sawn in half now. Sorry yours wasn't full of crystals but at least you can be pretty sure it was always nothing more than a cool rock. And you may hold the record for the most responses on here to pictures of a rock.. 67 and counting.. :laughing9:

Upvote 0
artzstuff1 said:
I would say it is or was,,, an human effigy of some kind but now a busted human effigy :'( :'( :'( :'(!!!!

sorry!!! might have been a valuable artifact!!! :dontknow:
I prefer the glass half full: Now you have two human effigies!

Upvote 0
that was amusing!!! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
I have just stumbled upon this and I find the most heart-wrenching of posts. The evidence was before you, people are allowed to make educated guesses. What I see here is a tragedy!! This was a Native American Artifact (Effigy) lines purposely incised in the piece and now it is broken in half. Telling a person to destroy a item on a hunch or a educated guess from another without that person saying it here was dumb. You have taken an item that had a high value price tag on it and made it into a second hand field find. Great Job...........You should have listened to the person stating it was a artifact. You could have saved yourself a couple of thousand in loss................GTP :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Yeah, nah - I'd go with the petrified dinosaur poop :tongue3: Nuggy

Upvote 0
WOW!! Say it aint so..... Sorry you broke that without a expert actually seeing and holding it in person and went with advice from people viewing pics of it.... SAD.

Upvote 0
wow sad you broke a siltstone concretion. don't think it has any historical value. Me, I am only a geologist with 25+ years in the field.

Upvote 0
Oh Man, you broke it? I would have just left it the way it was. Too late now... :-\ Get the glue out!! ;D

Upvote 0
envguy said:
wow sad you broke a siltstone concretion. don't think it has any historical value. Me, I am only a geologist with 25+ years in the field.

I appreciate you being a geologist. The only problem I have with your conclusion is the fact it was dug from the ground and it has incised lines over it. The best thing this poster could have done was to take a paper and traced over those lines to see if it formed possible effigies. In the one picture of the top "Node" as it has been put you can clearly see incised lines of a face. Coincidence that it has what appears to be eye where my attempt at arrows are and a mouth. Plus the surrounding face that I tried to do my best and circle. If she would have taken a better look at it and traced those lines she possibly could have saved and found a nice artifact. As a geologist you would not go breaking open nodules if you did not know what was inside. This poster should have never listened to the people that told her to break it!!.....................GTP

Attachments

• rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    rocks n stuff 072.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 0
This may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there on a thought, but it came to mind, so here goes: Is it possible it was at one time, whole, then someone scored it to split it, split it, then GLUED it back together? It appears to have some type of gold colored residue on the inside, plus she said, 'I tapped the side lightly on concrete and it broke right in half.' :dontknow: Breezie

Upvote 0
Instead of breaking it, I would have entertained offers and sold it to the highest bidder since many thought it could be an artifact.
In the case of a possible pre historic effigy, it's better to be safe than sorry by getting a hands on expert opinion before doing anything destructive.

Reminds me of an auctioneer I once knew named "Crazy Earl" who would threaten to destroy the item, (and often did) by throwing it down on the floor as hard as he could smashing it to pieces if no one would start bidding on it. He really knew how to get the crowd worked up. :laughing7:

See the similarities?

small-carved-stone-effigy-southern-france_320623601314.jpgrocks n stuff 001.JPG

Get-the-point does have a point :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back