Resplandor?

comerlulu

Greenie
Apr 27, 2007
My husband found this when he pulled a stump in our yard. I know that at one time there was an old General store on our property. I'm guessing that's why it was there. I've tried to find out a little about it. I may be wrong, but I believe it to be a "Resplandor" from Mexico. If you happen to know anything about this I would love to here about it !! I'll be looking forward to other ideas about it !!!

Thanks So Much,
comerlulu ;D

Attachments

• Coin 009c.JPG
    Coin 009c.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Coin 010.jpg
    Coin 010.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Coin 009c.JPG
    Coin 009c.JPG
  • Coin 009b.JPG
    Coin 009b.JPG
  • Coin 009a.JPG
    Coin 009a.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Coin 009.jpg
    Coin 009.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Coin 007c.JPG
    Coin 007c.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Coin 007b.JPG
    Coin 007b.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 311
  • Coin 007a.JPG
    Coin 007a.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Coin 007.jpg
    Coin 007.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Coin 006.jpg
    Coin 006.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 331
Mexican coin minted at the Mexico City Mint. Looks like a 4 reales piece (1827-1870), but it would have to be silver in order to be that denomination. Yours looks like copper. Hmmmm....

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering ! Actually it is silver, it just hasn't been shined up. I read where that might mess up the value? Is that true? Is it called a Resplandor? My camera work leaves alot to be desired I'm afraid, sorry !

LuLu

Upvote 0
Is it bigger or smaller than a U.S. quarter or half dollar? Could you put a coin there for comparison? Oh, and you are correct. Cleaning a coin reduces its value. Yes it is a "Resplandor" (cap and rays design). It could be an 8 Reales coin (if it is Silver Dollar-Sized).

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Here's a quarter to compare it to. Once again, I need to read my instruction book for my camera! Sorry !

LuLu

Attachments

• Coin comparrison 003.jpg
    Coin comparrison 003.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
That's right ! I did read something about the 8 reales coin !! I lost my bookmark, well actually they changed the web page to spanish and the english version was under construction and my translater fish said "HUH?" haha. So I couldn't review my information I had saved. So, resplandor is just a term for the sunrays on the back? Thanks again !!

LuLu

Upvote 0
Angelo said:

I agree they are very similar, but there's a few things that didn't match. You can't see it so well in my pics, but the cactus, or whatever the eagle is on is different and space between the Republica and Mexico is wider. Maybe it's just made a different year? The differences aren't that big though?

LuLu

Upvote 0
Take a look at the link I posted (changed it) again where it shows different years.

Look under Cap and Rays and Republic Reales.

Tony

Upvote 0
The coin appears to be quite unevenly worn to one side...which seems curious. Any ideas as to why?

Upvote 0
stefen said:
The coin appears to be quite unevenly worn to one side...which seems curious. Any ideas as to why?

I'm not sure, but since it was found in the tree's roots, I'm thinking one side was against a hard surfface and the other more likley dirt.? That's just an uneducated guess by a hillbilly though ! :-\

Upvote 0
cheese said:
Please tell me you have a detector and have searched the area where it was found!! ;D

Well, I could tell you that, but it wouldn't be true. I don't have a detector and I've never searched our yard. A friend used a detector in our yard, but it must not have been a good one because he searched that exact spot when my husband first started removing the root.(It took him a few days digging it out with an axe and shovel) Plus our backyard is full of old nuts and bolts and other not so valuable junk. Do they make a detector that will show whether it's a coin or jewelry and such? And shows way deep in the ground? Because this was about 3 feet or so down.

LuLu

Upvote 0
3 feet deep? I think I would call your friend with the MD and have him come over and go over that hole really well. That deep it might have been put there instead of just dropped. Just a thought...HH and good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back