Re-Counterfeit mold of US Large Cent

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Digging an early site that's producing relics from 1620's to the Civil War period. While detecting on the first visit there I had tapped into an early pit/privy and finally was able to investigate it a little more after a good pounding of the site surface detecting. I dug the mold of an American Large Cent and the bores tusk from the pit, along with lots of glass, china, crockery pieces, and some interesting iron relics not in the post.The mold may be made of pewter and explain why we can't find any old coins at the site lol.
The other cool piece I dug is a very early little copper mouth harp while surface detecting, that references date from way back, maybe earlier than the 1620's horse stirrup from a couple weeks back on the first visit. I pic'd it with the typical harp we find at CW and home sites.
Hoping the other side of the coin mold is still in the unfinished hole, which I now believe is a rock lined privy, just feet behind the old footprint of the house. To be continued ...

**** Added 2 pics showing its not flat and whats left of the raised border, that got me thinking cast mold *****

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_193440628_2.jpg
    PXL_20231112_193440628_2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 211
  • PXL_20231025_200856014_2.jpg
    PXL_20231025_200856014_2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20231030_015957530_4.jpg
    PXL_20231030_015957530_4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 163
  • PXL_20231113_010148164_4.jpg
    PXL_20231113_010148164_4.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20231113_010148164_4 (1).jpg
    PXL_20231113_010148164_4 (1).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20231113_010148164_4 (2).jpg
    PXL_20231113_010148164_4 (2).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Upvote 27
Digging an early site that's producing relics from 1620's to the Civil War period. While detecting on the first visit there I had tapped into an early pit/privy and finally was able to investigate it a little more after a good pounding of the site surface detecting. I dug the mold of an American Large Cent and the bores tusk from the pit, along with lots of glass, china, crockery pieces, and some interesting iron relics not in the post.The mold may be made of pewter and explain why we can't find any old coins at the site lol.
The other cool piece I dug is a very early little copper mouth harp while surface detecting, that references date from way back, maybe earlier than the 1620's horse stirrup from a couple weeks back on the first visit. I pic'd it with the typical harp we find at CW and home sites.
Hoping the other side of the coin mold is still in the unfinished hole, which I now believe is a rock lined privy, just feet behind the old footprint of the house. To be continued ...
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks, R-C, for the further explanation. It satisfies my curiosity. Now I understand how it could work. Being able to make a low melting point metal cast of just the back and front of the coin and then use those to impress on softened but still solid wax are what I did not know about. The impressed, and presumably cooled (so harder) wax could then be used to make and use a clay or sand mold in the conventional way.

Like i stated earlier... And I still stand with this thought... Its a piece of pewter that has been pressed for an impression... Sometimes this was done to test certain methods / comps etc.... or simply out of boredom.... AND...
As of this moment...
that's all it truly is.... all else is imaginative / speculative.

Like i stated earlier... And I still stand with this thought... Its a piece of pewter that has been pressed for an impression... Sometimes this was done to test certain methods / comps etc.... or simply out of boredom.... AND...
As of this moment...
that's all it truly is.... all else is imaginative / speculative.
Yes speculation, though many methods of mass counterfeiting was of the time of this piece, but until I actually dig an example of a counterfeit from it at the site, still speculation. Thanks for your input, I welcome all thoughts on the piece.

"Sometimes this was done to test certain methods/comps etc."
Methods of what ? Can you elaborate ?

Yes speculation, though many methods of mass counterfeiting was of the time of this piece, but until I actually dig an example of a counterfeit from it at the site, still speculation. Thanks for your input, I welcome all thoughts on the piece.

"Sometimes this was done to test certain methods/comps etc."
Methods of what ? Can you elaborate ?
Testing a press... testing the material being pressed etc.
Just another speculative possibility ... even though remote... it too... does exist.
:)

I posted something similar and equally as puzzling, mine had imprint images on both sides. I don’t think it was for counterfeiting but who knows.

Regardless of what it actually was used for I gotta say great finds Fredneck. For
My guess of what the mystery coin thing is… I’m gonna guess it’s to press brothel tokens. Hey my guess is as good as the next guys right? LOL Doesnt
Matter still a good find.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back