Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a minute today got this little jug hill made of raw Kay county or Florence A chert. Comes from a couple hundred miles away or so. Makes for a wild looking point.
IMG_0817.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0821.jpeg

Also got this…. rock?
IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg

Pro artifact, found in a known site among burnt bone, flint chips and within inches of the point above. Has a uniface look… maybe pecked? And as you can see in the first picture nothing like the limestone crumbles that make up 99% of the natural stone in the dirt.

Cons: either made of a dense limestone/mudstone or this local black flint, it shows no flaking, and what purpose would it serve. Definitely and odd ball as far as shape and material any thoughts welcome

Upvote 6
Got out for a minute today got this little jug hill made of raw Kay county or Florence A chert. Comes from a couple hundred miles away or so. Makes for a wild looking point.
View attachment 2155154View attachment 2155155View attachment 2155156View attachment 2155157View attachment 2155158
Also got this…. rock?
View attachment 2155159View attachment 2155160View attachment 2155161View attachment 2155162View attachment 2155163View attachment 2155164
Pro artifact, found in a known site among burnt bone, flint chips and within inches of the point above. Has a uniface look… maybe pecked? And as you can see in the first picture nothing like the limestone crumbles that make up 99% of the natural stone in the dirt.

Cons: either made of a dense limestone/mudstone or this local black flint, it shows no flaking, and what purpose would it serve. Definitely and odd ball as far as shape and material any thoughts welcome
Interesting. Love the material in the first one. The other is strange. Why does it look black in the first pic and tan in the others? Am i missing something?

I had to wash the dirt off it. In the pic with the rock it still had the fine dirt stuck to it, the other rock is what’s left after I let the dirt fall through… I was noticing the flat part isn’t pitted like the rest… maybe due to use? Or maybe I’m just reaching on an oddly shaped stone

Here’s the point before washing the dirt, it’s kind of a surprise what material I’ll get when I wash them
IMG_0834.jpeg

Last edited:
I can see the petrified wood but Kay county can have a finger print like pattern, I’m fairly confident that’s what this is, considering I find plenty of heat treated Kay country and no confirmed petrified wood. Also as far as the drill it is a fairly big and elongated triangle maybe it was on its way to being a drill

I can see the petrified wood but Kay county can have a finger print like pattern, I’m fairly confident that’s what this is, considering I find plenty of heat treated Kay country and no confirmed petrified wood. Also as far as the drill it is a fairly big and elongated triangle maybe it was on its way to being a drill
It does look like Kay County chert.
Here is a map showing the source location.
Kay County or Florance A source.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back