Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there are spots that are better for metal detecting. But I was wondering if anyone ever just checked a spot because it was easy and they could, and actually found anything? The only reason I ask is because my father in law has some wooded acreage that as far as I know wasn't a site to any old homes, churches or anything. And I am trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to check it out or if you guys thought I would just be wasting my time.

thanks in advance for any advice

Sure is worth checking. Listen for trash as well as good signals. I have been doing lots of hunting in fields etc for some old early 1800's homesites. I know for sure they were there, just not exact location of each. It is easy to tell when you find one by the density of signals. Even if no homesite, campground etc can still find coins and relics on occasion. One of the areas I have been hunting shows no visible sign of a home having been there ( huge pasture field )and there is so much trash in the ground it can be hard to ground balance. You will never know it you don't check it. :icon_thumleft:

I know of a field up here ...out in the woods sort of over grown...... And a $5.00 gold piece was dug up.......... So you never know.......No house's around no old foundations around ..... There is nothing there to make you think there was something there at one time...........And as far as we can tell there was never any thing there......... Just woods.......Then a buddy of mine was out were hardly no one goes in the deep woods and dug a coin up with swastika on it.. Like i said you never know.

Last edited:
WayneCountyDetector said:
I know there are spots that are better for metal detecting. But I was wondering if anyone ever just checked a spot because it was easy and they could, and actually found anything? The only reason I ask is because my father in law has some wooded acreage that as far as I know wasn't a site to any old homes, churches or anything. And I am trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to check it out or if you guys thought I would just be wasting my time.

thanks in advance for any advice

I have found some of my best stuff doing that. I don't consider easy though.

Thanks for the info guys, I went out there last night. Only had about an hour to MD and found a lot of old bullet shells, and some other trash items. But It will take me a long time to cover all that land. I am bound to find something.. I hope. The bullet shells were a neat find, just not something I want to keep really.

I live in a rental house that was probably built in the 1940s - 50s. I've hit the yard several times and have never found much other than trash. Decided to hit it again last night, this time closer to the flower gardens. Found a few interesting pieces.The pennies are all 1964 and newer. The key is to a Chrysler.

2012-08-01 17.37.14.jpg

It's always worth a shot. You never know if troops ever wandered through the area years ago.

Yep, could have been some sort of road, trail, passage...all it takes is one old stage coach or traveler with a coin purse...and a split second...then the swing of a coil one hundred or so years later...BINGO!! Good luck.

I do that all the time. Most days I keep my MD and a shovel in the trunk of my car for such an opportunity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back