Attachments

• IMG_20241004_031150456_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20241004_031150456_HDR~2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20241004_031200651_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20241004_031200651_MP~2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 17
This was identified by my local club as a key date coin. I was pretty excited to hear my little penny is worth a little bit. You never know and I'm sure thankful to the clubs I am in. You all have identified countless pieces for me. Any help in cleaning this up??
Early dates are always a joy to find...nice recovery....love the early dates!

This was identified by my local club as a key date coin. I was pretty excited to hear my little penny is worth a little bit. You never know and I'm sure thankful to the clubs I am in. You all have identified countless pieces for me. Any help in cleaning this up??
I soak my Wheaties in hydrogen peroxide. It can take hours, but usually gets them pretty clean.

I soak my Wheaties in hydrogen peroxide. It can take hours, but usually gets them pretty clean.
That doesn't sound very tasty though..... :laughing7:

Fun find.
I use hydrogen peroxide as well. It works wonders on that tan dusty encrustation. Careful though as I've had some copper coins get pitted from leaving it in too long.

Also, an ultrasonic cleaner is supposed to work well without damaging the coin.

Fun find.
I use hydrogen peroxide as well. It works wonders on that tan dusty encrustation. Careful though as I've had some copper coins get pitted from leaving it in too long.

When buyers say "It's been cleaned" be weary." It is their business to get your money. DO NOT mention you metal detected it. You will be automatically made to be a scrubbing coin cleaner. Hope this makes sense.

Fun find.

I like peroxide. How long did you leave it in peroxide to get pitting?

When buyers say "It's been cleaned" be weary." It is their business to get your money. DO NOT mention you metal detected it. You will be automatically made to be a scrubbing coin cleaner. Hope this makes sense.
It does make sense, but...
I'm a collector that can tell when something is a "details" grade coin about 80% of the time. Cleaned, pitted, damaged, whizzed, etc. will cause a coin to get a "details" grade.
I'm not a buyer that resells, but I am a collector. Collectors ultimately want the best-looking coin they can afford. "Store owners" selling coins to collectors want coins that move quickly.

Key dates coins can have problems, but they will still sell. It is up to the person selling a coin to know what the fair market value is, so they don't feel cheated. But that also means realizing the business owner does need to make a profit. (That is why I use eBay's completed sales, in the "Advanced" search box, to guide me towards a fair price that I can live with.)
I like peroxide. How long did you leave it in peroxide to get pitting?
Well, I'm not entirely sure the pitting happened from the peroxide or if it was already on the coin from being in the ground, but hidden by the dirt/dust. All I know is that when the dirt came off, pitting was present. Pitting didn't happen all the time.

You could run a few experiments. Immerse a non-valuable new copper coin in peroxide and check it at regular intervals to see if pitting happens to the copper plating. Do the same thing with other denominations to see how it affects those metals.

These suggestions can be used as a guideline, but that is why it's best to confirm them yourself with non-valuable coins before trying on a valuable one.

Hope all this babbling on makes sense. :coffee2:

Nice going thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back