Quick Question About Bagged Coins

Torball

Jun 21, 2011
This kinda fits here. Although it was a cache, it does involve coins purchased from the mint. So here goes -

I tear down old houses and sometimes find the odd stash of coins in the walls. Lots of fun, and a bit of extra profit.

Now the situation at hand:

I found an original $200 mint bag of nickles which has never been opened - the original stitching is still in tact and the bag was well cared for placed in a special compartment of an attic along with some other goodies.

The bag says 2 very important things:

• Mint: Denver
  • Year: 1964

So, other than the possible intrinsic value of 4,000 uncirculated 1964 D nickles, is there extra value in the fact that the bag has not been opened?

Since the coins are probably uncirculated (the bag has 1964 printed on it by the mint), I looked at the MS65 value of those coins and it made me weak in the knees.

So the question of the day is this:

Should I open the bag and roll them, place them all in individual holders, or leave the bag in tact?

Upvote 0
The 1964 D nickels are the highest mintage of this series with 1.7 billion of them minted. You might have a few high end MS coins in there but there is no rarity of them. If I had the bag I would just hold on to it as it is. If you keep it intact I believe you will get more for it in the long run. Nice find though, not every day you find $200 sitting around... Too bad these were not dimes, quarters, or halves. :tongue3:

The coin market for collector coin is in a huge slump right now, I would hold on to them (unopened) until the market recovers then sell the unopened bag to a coin dealer.

ImpurestStewart said:
I am going to agree with everyone else and say keep it in tact. In 100 years that mint bag will be worth something.

In 100 years, $200 will be worth $26,000 invested at 5% and compounded annually. It's not worth holding onto. I would sell them once the coin market recovers.

Generic_Lad said:
The coin market for collector coin is in a huge slump right now, I would hold on to them (unopened) until the market recovers then sell the unopened bag to a coin dealer.

Thanks for your response.

The reason I was wondering does have to do with the Omaha Bank Hoard. There were 1964D, Mint State 65 (MS65) nickles sold. In 2006 they fetched $650 each when that hoard of coins was sold. One of my numismatic magazines lists the value in MS65 as $750 each.

Mine haven't been graded . . . hell I haven't even opened the bag.

So, how is one batch "uncirculated" worth more than another batch? How is going from the die to the bag going to do that much damage?

I'm not so stupid as to believe that anyone would pay me $750, $650 or even $550 per coin . . .

DarkRider23 said:
ImpurestStewart said:
I am going to agree with everyone else and say keep it in tact. In 100 years that mint bag will be worth something.

In 100 years, $200 will be worth $26,000 invested at 5% and compounded annually. It's not worth holding onto. I would sell them once the coin market recovers.

What I found (in total) is probably worth more than that right now. Found out the person who owned the home was a rare coin dealer - and a wealthy one at that. Made his fortune in rare coins and precious metals. Must have been some reason that he thought they were important enough to buy them and hide them away after he retired . . . along with some other goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back