prospecting

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
is it fair to say that most of the high mountain have fissures in them? is it also fair to say gold follows water? with these questions in mind if i find an old dried up creek bed coming down off the mountain and i dig in the right spot i can get what im looking for or has it nit made it down off the side off the mountain yet(ie not reach the creek yet)?

Upvote 0
Look at it this way, when I first began deer hunting I didn't get one for the first six years. A lot of that failure stemmed from tunnel vision, all I could think of was tagging a big buck. I saw deer on many of my outings, but my hunting skills weren't developed enough to get in close enough for a shot. Finally, I tagged a small buck, and two weeks later a doe. I enjoyed every one of those outings, and learned each time, even though I got zero to show for them. It's the hunt, not the kill, that keeps us going.

if i can get off work early im going to go try to dig out this big ass rock from my spot on clear creek. i tryed once before didnt get it. im sure what i dug out before is filled back in. im gonna get under this rock!!!

Come along and a snow chain or cable chain for your tires. Works very well for them rocks that need a little extra umph.

well i dont have to worry about that rock as all the rains we have had the past month has covered this spot with about 6" of sediments. check out the before and after pics, so i had to find another rock. the rock is to the left side of the island.

Attachments

• image-852635738.jpg
    image-852635738.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3297922365.jpg
    image-3297922365.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2909717323.jpg
    image-2909717323.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1719018852.jpg
    image-1719018852.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 111
how well do you think a 4" corrugated drain pipe cut in half will work as a cleanup sluice? the lady at clear creek prospecting told me it wont work cuz its to smooth and that the gold will just wash out. any thoughts?

nope, won't work. If it's heavy enough to hang up in tin-horn it's going to be so big you wouldn't need it. What she told you was right, there are no low pressure zones to let anything drop out.

damnit! what do you think about the green plastic drain pan extender from home depot?

A smooth bottom pan is your best finish tool in my opinion but I know you like to build stuff sooooo...
Try making a mini sluice bottomed with ribbed rubber matting from the hardware store. I know guys who love that simple finish processing method. Once you have it dialed in you could also build a material feeder to sprinkle the cons in little by little.

i got one of those. it seems to take me a lone time to pan out a pan full... maybe im just to cautious and dont want to loose anything that im not finding. the woman at clear creek prospecting told me that my a52 keene should be fill with water to 1" from the top. but then ive been told i should only have 1" of water flowing threw my sluice. oh the guy at golden prospecting told me its against the law to dig a hole above water level.

i figured id better go up and get some more material as its suppose to snow tomorrow night. well i hiked up the bank about 150' and started digging in a hole someone else had already started. the bank had collapsed into it some but it didnt take me long to clean it out. now im getting gravel from what seems to be about 15' under the ground surface. the fine gravel was packed with round river rock (got a 5gallon bucket full).

then as i was leaving i noticed a fairly large rock in the middle of the creek. its just below some falls and the way the rock looked positioned in the creek it reminded me of a riffle in my sluice so i dug behind it and down about 3'.

the first pic is just above the falls. notice the flooded area. now the second pic is of the rock positioned in the creek. what do yah think?

Attachments

• image-1808464554.jpg
    image-1808464554.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3193486649.jpg
    image-3193486649.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-237857070.jpg
    image-237857070.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 89
Glad you are getting out. Did you do any sample pans of the material before hauling it all the way home?

Panning get faster with practice and a good magnet.

well no but one day when i was up there, there was this ol timer that had his son bringing down buckets from the hill side and he had color in his mini sluice and as far as the middle of the creek... no. i figured if its gonna be sh_tty weather threw the wk end that will give me something to do. i have been trying to go up a few times a wk.

well no but one day when i was up there, there was this ol timer that had his son bringing down buckets from the hill side and he had color in his mini sluice and as far as the middle of the creek... no. i figured if its gonna be sh_tty weather threw the wk end that will give me something to do. i have been trying to go up a few times a wk.

Good strategy, let the other guy do the sampling ;-)

so this is what im talkn about... it looks just like some of the sluices i seen at golden detector yesterday. it seems to be made out of the same plastic my pan is made of... oh ya i bought a new pan yesterday also my blue one has some scratches in the bottom that im not pleased with!

now the question is do i run it down the steps or slop it so the water runs up the steps?

Attachments

• image-2983872256.jpg
    image-2983872256.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 84
even if i dont find any gold i have fun building these things and tryn them out.

i wonder how this stuff would work?

Attachments

• image-3500924190.jpg
    image-3500924190.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 95

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back