Possible undocumented early wreck, coast of British Columbia

Dean Unger

Jun 6, 2024
I've recently encountered a beach site off Vancouver Island that is turning up numerous what appear to be quite early ships spikes and would like to confirm or disprove if possible. They are hand-wrought and appear to be possibly copper or bronze, and the case of the rivet, indications point to sterling silver. The oxidization crust around the spikes in a couple instances was almost three inches thick and is comprised of a black hardened tar-like substance that has a strong odour. Any ID assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1 Spike Group a.jpg
    1 Spike Group a.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2 - Spike Group b.jpg
    2 - Spike Group b.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 3  - Spike Group c.jpg
    3 - Spike Group c.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 4 - Spike group d.jpg
    4 - Spike group d.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Silver Ships' rivet.jpg
    Silver Ships' rivet.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Spike 1 b heead.jpg
    Spike 1 b heead.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Spike 1 c head.jpg
    Spike 1 c head.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Spike 1 head.jpg
    Spike 1 head.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Spike 2 b.jpg
    Spike 2 b.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Spike 2 head.jpg
    Spike 2 head.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Spike 4 head side profile.jpg
    Spike 4 head side profile.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Spike 4 head.jpg
    Spike 4 head.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Spike 4 oxidization crust a.jpg
    Spike 4 oxidization crust a.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Spike 4 oxidization crust b.jpg
    Spike 4 oxidization crust b.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Spike 4 point.jpg
    Spike 4 point.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Spike 4 tip.jpg
    Spike 4 tip.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 15
I've recently encountered a beach site off Vancouver Island that is turning up numerous what appear to be quite early ships spikes and would like to confirm or disprove if possible. They are hand-wrought and appear to be possibly copper or bronze, and the case of the rivet, indications point to sterling silver. The oxidization crust around the spikes in a couple instances was almost three inches thick and is comprised of a black hardened tar-like substance that has a strong odour. Any ID assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Non of the spikes/nails have a copper/bronze appearance to them from the photos.
Actually some even show what appears to be iron wrought.

Have you tested any of the items with a magnet?

The rivet? Looks like a part of a countersunk screw/showing threads at the bottom.

What type of strong odour does the hardened material have? Petroleum oil based?

Thank you Pepper and Don, for the info. Yes, agreed. My initial assumptions seem to have been a bit of a leap of romanticized logic. All are magnetic and, have hard from Jacques Marc, Operations Director at UASBC this morning who suggests/points out the following: "
At first glance, my assessment is as follows.

All the pieces are either wrought iron or steel. Brass or copper would have a green patina and would not have the striations.

The concretion that would have encased them is primarily carbon from the oxidation of the material. Brass and copper would not have this.

The smell comes from the oxidation process and the anaerobic environment created when items are buried and starved for oxygen.

Spike 1 looks like a bolt of some type. It looks like it has a concreted nut on top.

My assessment is that it is modern.

Spike 2 looks like a piece of wrought iron based on the striated corrosion pattern.

There is not enough left of it to determine what it may have been used for.

Spike 4 looks like a 5” square nail/fastener which could have ben used for anything.

The rivet is a steel bolt or screw of some sort.

When you first break a piece of steel from its concretion it will appear silver in colour.

My guess is it now looks rusty.

I am calling it a bolt or screw as you can see the treads in the lower part.

The type of head i.e., Hexagon or tapered would determine if it is a screw or bolt.

The long pin is likely a steel drift bolt of some sort that could have been used to connect wooden beams.

It is highly unlikely these objects are from a shipwreck.

Usually when you find fasteners there is wood associated with them as the steel or copper prevents the marine borers from eating it.

Older vessels are fastened below the waterline with copper and bronze and are usually covered in copper sheathing.

Lastly most of these fasteners are too small to have fastened planks to frames or served as drift bolts through a keel."

Best Regards

Jacques Marc
Explorations Director
UASBC

Years ago, for a few years I had email contact with a gold prospecting treasure hunter who lives on Vancouver Island. Eventually, he got his own mining claim there. I am familiar with much of the treasure legends/stories on the island. He even sent me a large packet of printed legends and a few media articles.

Most interesting is the site where archaeologist discovered hand blown Spanish glass bottles. In that area is a lake got named from stories passed down from an indigenous tribe. Bone Yard Lake supposedly got that name because of a battle the natives fought with a strange people. Then there is a marsh where over the years a cannon becomes exposed and covered up again. Also is an unconfirmed story of a gold bar brought back from steps going down to a cave. A hunter waded through a part of cave with water. Later the hunter died from pneumonia. According to the story the dying finder of the gold bar, willed it to a woman taking care of him.

Last edited:
Years ago, for a few years I had email contact with a gold prospecting treasure hunter who lives on Vancouver Island. Eventually, he got his own mining claim there. I am familiar with much of the treasure legends/stories on the island. He even sent me a large packet of printed legends and a few media articles.

Most interesting is the site where archaeologist discovered hand blown Spanish glass bottles. In that area is a lake got named from stories passed down from an indigenous tribe. Bone Yard Lake supposedly got that name because of a battle the natives fought with a strange people. Then there is a marsh where over the years a cannon becomes exposed and covered up again. Also is an unconfirmed story of a gold bar brought back from steps going down to a cave. A hunter waded through a part of cave with water. Later the hunter died from pneumonia. According to the story the dying finder of the gold bar, willed it to a woman taking care of him.
It always amazes me that one can live in a certain area for years. Have family living there for 5 decades.
Yet never hear of such stories.
From our family's detecting days/collecting/owning businesses/buying and selling antiques days on the island one would figure a mear mention of any of that would have happened.

It always amazes me that one can live in a certain area for years. Have family living there for 5 decades.
Yet never hear of such stories.
From our family's detecting days/collecting/owning businesses/buying and selling antiques days on the island one would figure a mear mention of any of that would have happened.

He is more of a gold prospector and sent me 3 of the largest topographic maps I'd ever seen before. The cannon was located at a marsh up there called meadows. From what I can remember the marsh connects to water passage a ship could have made it there no doubt. Eventually he asked me to mail the maps back to him. The Bone Yard Lake was probably more inland. Between the marsh and the gold mining boom town was the river and a main tributary. About half the distance between meadows (marsh) and main town was a large mining camp spread out around a couple peaks. The hunter in the story was one of the miners returning to main town. Thinking he could hunt game while returning, decided to take a remote alternate trail. One of the articles he sent me told, about a search made by a university. It got funded with students along to help and learn also. Before locating the treasure cave, search ended but students must have enjoyed the experience. This search focused on a remote area closer to the miner's camp.

The stories have been around, only archaeologist and a few treasure hunters still believe in them. There was another site archaeologists uncovered stuff which point to possible evidence to support stories. Good way university students, to get funding for archie projects.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back