desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I belong to a local club that owns a claim. This club has had this claim for many years, and acquired it after the old timers had mined it previously, and others after they commercial outfits closed up.
I walked quite a bit of the 160 acre claim, and noted that just about every wash had been worked. Most of the surface nuggets has also been detected by those with gold detectors. In other words, this place has been picked over and over and over.
But I m a stubborn type of person, and I figured, just watching how people ram their puffer and blower drywashers, that some gold was just being blown through them. maybe not much, but some small stuff that never got a chance to settle behind the riffles.
I know many of you would never go to the effort of digging for three to four hours through the tailings in these washes. Again, I'm a bit stubborn, and anyway, I just wanted to have some fun locally, instead of driving 300 miles roundtrip to something that gives a little more for less effort.
I've spent the last three weeks, digging a few times a week along about 30 yards of wash, and have recovered just about a gram of gold. That might not seem like much, but I have only dug up 5 grams, not counting this one gram in almost 20 years out here drywashing in the desert of southern California.
As you would know, things always seem to go wrong. My gas powered blower motor decided it was time for the repair shop, and haven't heard from the shop in two weeks. So I purchased a WORX WG521 corded electric leaf blower to use with my Royal Large drywasher. I'm using a portable generator to provide the power. And it actually is working better than with my old gas powered blower. I have to run the blower on the lowest speed, or I just blow everything through the riffles. Results are very good, as I am getting gold specks so small that I will have to use the Blue bowl in order to recover them.
I'm not only getting a little gold, I'm having some fun, and I am getting a good workout. I've lost 10 pounds since I started. So things are going well.
I'm still digging test holes around the old time hard rock mines in the hope I will find where the gold has drifted downhill below these mines. So far just a couple specks here and there. I figure I just have to move laterally one way or the other before I get something better Of course, I' don't really know if the old timers stripped the hillsides. Even if they have, they apparently aren't as thorough as I am. I hope that I may be lucky and find a larger piece of gold that the old timers, previous placer miners, and detectorists have missed.
Hope everyone is having as much fun as I have been having.

Upvote 49
If you want to steal other peoples minerals go ahead and steal, eventually you will pay the price. I could post some California convictions for mineral theft here but why bother? Please don't come on a public forum and make up excuses why it's OK to steal.
The act of stealing is likely covered within "State" codes. I agree to stay away as far as possible so there is no question of stealing.

Are you saying I must travel to that office to acquire the information I require? I know it's not accessible online, as I tried, and got "Page not found". This was for Riverside County.

You can use online service to point out that there is a recording and use the links to get the County recorder office to help locate the paper work of the claim. Perhaps print out some of it.
Most likely for a more complete paperwork will require a visit for the photocopy of it.

To establish that there is a "Recorded Claim" even if there is no monuments / posts / rocks marking the "Discovery" / "Location" as this is evidence / notice to everyone in public. It is best to visit the County Recorder office to get complete paper photo copy of the record.

Are you saying I must travel to that office to acquire the information I require? I know it's not accessible online, as I tried, and got "Page not found". This was for Riverside County.
The next time you visit the County recorders office ask how to access the information on the County web page. Make a phone call first as you may get the instructions over the phone or perhaps by email.

The next time you visit the County recorders office ask how to access the information on the County web page. Make a phone call first as you may get the instructions over the phone or perhaps by email.
I live in San Bernardino County. Wonder if Riverside County will even talk to me.

As I've said before, websites are confusing to me. I still have trouble using Google search, as I usually never ask the question properly. Same with these two County Recorder Office websites. Tried to find information by asking a question, and basically was told nothing found.

I'll go online and see if I can find information telephone numbers for these two offices, though I'm not going to hold my breath.

Gosh! I actually found those two numbers. For me, that's amazing.

I live in San Bernardino County. Wonder if Riverside County will even talk to me.

As I've said before, websites are confusing to me. I still have trouble using Google search, as I usually never ask the question properly. Same with these two County Recorder Office websites. Tried to find information by asking a question, and basically was told nothing found.

I'll go online and see if I can find information telephone numbers for these two offices, though I'm not going to hold my breath.
Well research within each County web page to start with until you see if the information is available online. The County recorder clerk has to make these records available so track down what works for you.

Well research within each County web page to start with until you see if the information is available online. The County recorder clerk has to make these records available so track down what works for you.
I'll have to call, and get a blow- by-blow how to instruction, or I won't find the information, unless I find it by accident.

I'm just wondering if they charge fees for each claim information request. That could get expensive based on how much everything costs nowadays. If they do charge fees, I'll just end my quest to find my own dig.

I'll have to call, and get a blow- by-blow how to instruction, or I won't find the information, unless I find it by accident.
Once you see the steps it will be fairly easy from then on.
I'm just wondering if they charge fees for each claim information request. That could get expensive based on how much everything costs nowadays. If they do charge fees, I'll just end my quest to find my own dig.
The photo copies should be blank cost per page. If the cost is say 25 cents per page the cost will not be very much. The key information about the "Claim", "Discovery", "Location" is likely on just a few pages at the most.

I see a reference to "Deeds" within "The State of California" code pointing out that a mining claim can be transferred only by operation of law or by a deed in writing; but a discoverer of mineral may transfer his right of location by parol.

I see a reference to "Fixtures" as a fixture is an article which may or may not actually be affixed to the mine. "In this state" there is many kinds of items / tools / machinery used in working, or developing a mine are deemed to be affixed to the mine.

It is not clear as to what is "classified and taxed as real property" in California. Perhaps I'm missing something here?
I have looked some on this forum in general and have found almost no posts if any post covering this type of information.
Do I need to look within the "Legal" section of this forum?

I just checked Riverside County and they will let you order online but they want to mail a copy to you. Being California they want to charge you. $7 first page and $1 each additional page. Some other counties in California are much more expensive.

Just put in the name of the claim at the top of this online Riverside County Recorder form and you will get all the records for anything of that name. From there you can order online.

In Arizona, and most other states, the County Recorder's records are available online to search and download copies of public records for free. In California - well lets just say Riverside county might be alright but I wouldn't suggest trying to use the San Bernardino Recorder. Inyo county is good. Kern is OK but can be slow. The closer you get to the coast the wackier the pricing and the more hoop jumping required.

If there is really only one claim per section you would only need to order that one claim location notice, map it, and you would have more than enough land to prospect for many years to come. $8 and a little time figuring out some online ordering system. Not much of a price to know where you can prospect. That's probably quite a bit less than your annual club dues. :thumbsup:

BETTER YET , go to and join MYLANDMATTERS.ORG and get your info there ! I've seen these so called "public servants" either give you the run-a-round , Un understandable info or just say they don't know and leave you hanging ! Barry has the experience / knowledge to give you the understandable and correct info ! Some of these Public servant's do help a lot but you only need one greenie that is employed by "our" gubermint to ruin your day with B.S. info OR harassment ! Do it now and save the headaches ! :icon_thumleft:

If the recorders office does not have an online service, then yes, you will need to go to their office. Most havw a computer set up for visitors to do their research and only charge for copies that you may print. Take you township, range and sections of interest and they can give you all the information you need.

I just checked Riverside County and they will let you order online but they want to mail a copy to you. Being California they want to charge you. $7 first page and $1 each additional page. Some other counties in California are much more expensive.

Just put in the name of the claim at the top of this online Riverside County Recorder form and you will get all the records for anything of that name. From there you can order online.

In Arizona, and most other states, the County Recorder's records are available online to search and download copies of public records for free. In California - well lets just say Riverside county might be alright but I wouldn't suggest trying to use the San Bernardino Recorder. Inyo county is good. Kern is OK but can be slow. The closer you get to the coast the wackier the pricing and the more hoop jumping required.

If there is really only one claim per section you would only need to order that one claim location notice, map it, and you would have more than enough land to prospect for many years to come. $8 and a little time figuring out some online ordering system. Not much of a price to know where you can prospect. That's probably quite a bit less than your annual club dues. :thumbsup:
I just tried to fill that form out, but there's no mining claim documents listed under types of document. As usual I don't understand what to ask when it comes to type of documents.

If the recorders office does not have an online service, then yes, you will need to go to their office. Most havw a computer set up for visitors to do their research and only charge for copies that you may print. Take you township, range and sections of interest and they can give you all the information you need.
It's a 200 mile round trip. I still am not able to get the info, even with the online request form Clay Diggins posted above.

It's a 200 mile round trip. I still am not able to get the info, even with the online request form Clay Diggins posted above.
Just put in the name of the claim at the top of this online Riverside County Recorder form and you will get all the records for anything of that name. Leave the other fields blank.

I just tried to fill that form out, but there's no mining claim documents listed under types of document. As usual I don't understand what to ask when it comes to type of documents.
You are making this too hard.

Just put in the name of the claim at the top of this online Riverside County Recorder form and you will get all the records for anything of that name. Leave the other fields blank.

You are making this too hard.

I did, and got just one listing. There should be dozens based on the number of claims filed by this entity. I'll just call sometime next week.

Based on the claim sizes, 20.66 acres, and those centered on mines, I should have one area I can look at, without tearing my hair out. This Township Section has only one claim, a lode. So I'll locate the mine, and figure things out from there.

I did, and got just one listing. There should be dozens based on the number of claims filed by this entity. I'll just call sometime next week.

Based on the claim sizes, 20.66 acres, and those centered on mines, I should have one area I can look at, without tearing my hair out. This Township Section has only one claim, a lode. So I'll locate the mine, and figure things out from there.
Are the claims years apart and perhaps the online system is not updated?

Keep us updated on what you find out.

Are the claims years apart and perhaps the online system is not updated?

Keep us updated on what you find out.
Based on what I've seen. back around 2012, this entity filed claims on what I was told were around 100 mines in this general area. The area I can get to in my basic 4x4 still contains dozens of their claims. I think they are some kind of venture group formed by a few college graduates back in the 1990's.

Based on what I've seen. back around 2012, this entity filed claims on what I was told were around 100 mines in this general area. The area I can get to in my basic 4x4 still contains dozens of their claims. I think they are some kind of venture group formed by a few college graduates back in the 1990's.
Interesting. Was there any "Discovery" work done on say most of the 100 claims or was there work on just one of the claims?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back