pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug a few old relics and a lonely button yesterday and one find has me scratching the noodle. Just wondering if this would be strictly for fishing or was a small pitch forks that has a barbed end used for something else?
IMG_20150803_172706669.jpgIMG_20150803_172734637.jpg

Frog gigger?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep, frog gig though it certainly could have been used to spear fish too.

Just bought me a big ole 18 inch long hand forged trident. Not sure what I'll use it for aside from doing battle with Poseidon. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Frog gigger?

Alright! I never heard of a frog bigger before but it sure looks like one. Thanks now I have another first after all these yrs.:)

Upvote 0
The gig part is right , but I believe it is way to wide for frogs ...........

Upvote 0
Everyone's right... frog gig! Did ya give up on your rabbit pee problem? :tongue3:

Man needs to get some fresh air, 5 minute walk to the site. For the rabbit pee problem it's still perking away. Started ripping the room next to this one, 30yr glued down vinyl flooring. I really need to sit on this fork somedays for starting the reno's again.:)

Upvote 0
The gig part is right , but I believe it is way to wide for frogs ...........

There's some broken off so that might explain the gaps.

Upvote 0
I think that one was made for gigging fish. Maybe used through the ice with a homemade wooden fish lure as an attractant so muskie's and pike's could be speared...d2

Upvote 0
I was thinking flounder gig too. Was it found relatively close to the ocean?

Upvote 0
Would work for spawning walleye. (Not legal, here anyway, for non natives to do so.)
Through the ice for pike five tines are common, which yours may have been originally..
A pitchfork has smooth tines to allow a smooth release when tossing. A barb would cause hang ups.
A neat find. The outer tine showing has no barb on it. Possibly worn off hitting rocks in a stream, rather than on a tether arranged to not quite reach bottom through the ice.

Upvote 0
Frog gigs are only about 3 inch wide. Here's some fish spears me and my boy used to stick carp with. Kevin100_1067 (800x600) (800x600).jpg

Upvote 0
I was thinking flounder gig too. Was it found relatively close to the ocean?

No where close to salt water I found it above Lake Ontario on a Rideau Canal tributary, this portion was damed up 1810 to provide power to the mills on the creek system which predates the canal system by 25 yrs.

Upvote 0
Would work for spawning walleye. (Not legal, here anyway, for non natives to do so.)
Through the ice for pike five tines are common, which yours may have been originally..
A pitchfork has smooth tines to allow a smooth release when tossing. A barb would cause hang ups.
A neat find. The outer tine showing has no barb on it. Possibly worn off hitting rocks in a stream, rather than on a tether arranged to not quite reach bottom through the ice.

Pike are still in the waters around here, seen some big ones pulled up during the winter. Not sure about anything else, lots of Bass, and who knows what was around in the waters 200 yrs ago. 60+ yrs ago the whole waterfront was a dock system for charter boats taking folks out fishing.

Upvote 0
PEPPER HOW DEEP WERE YOU IN THAT HOLE WAS IT GETTING KIND OF RED AND HOT.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back