Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something about pinpointing targets is eluding me.
When I started detecting early this past spring, I used the "swing, turn 90°, swing again" method.
Even when I was digging LARGE (greater than 9"Ø) holes, the target would often wind up 6"-9" away from where I thought it would be. Some of my 9" holes turned into minor archeological excavations!

Beginning of July (I think) I started playing around with the pinpointer function on the remote.
This thing is tricky; one thing I learned is that it doesn't differentiate horizontal from vertical, which can throw you off considerably if you're not paying close attention to how you're moving the coil. Yeah, I know... closer is closer--direction doesn't matter.

By August, I was trying both methods--sometimes alternating, and sometimes using both on the same hole/target with different results. Swinging in 2 directions would pinpoint it one place, then using the function would put it 6" away. Actual location could be either or neither. I've even tried expanding swinging in 2 directions to swinging in 3 directions to try to locate targets better--no difference.

Whichever method I'm using, sometimes it seems like the target signal is reflected off of something; other times I lose a (sometimes quite strong) signal entirely.

Is it me, a lack of experience, or just a quirk of the technology?

The reason it matters to me is that I'm trying to reduce the footprint of my holes; smaller footprint = less work and less mess to turf = more holes/targets per hour of swinging. I'd like (eventually) to be able to use only my garden trowel when/where feasible.

As others have noted in other threads, judging depth can be trickier than horizontal location, and that can also complicate recovery. Normally, this isn't an issue for me, but on occasion, when I just can't find the target, I wind up "pinpointing" several times--often chasing different targets once the hole is open.

Something about pinpointing targets is eluding me.
When I started detecting early this past spring, I used the "swing, turn 90°, swing again" method.
Even when I was digging LARGE (greater than 9"Ø) holes, the target would often wind up 6"-9" away from where I thought it would be. Some of my 9" holes turned into minor archeological excavations!

Beginning of July (I think) I started playing around with the pinpointer function on the remote.
This thing is tricky; one thing I learned is that it doesn't differentiate horizontal from vertical, which can throw you off considerably if you're not paying close attention to how you're moving the coil. Yeah, I know... closer is closer--direction doesn't matter.

By August, I was trying both methods--sometimes alternating, and sometimes using both on the same hole/target with different results. Swinging in 2 directions would pinpoint it one place, then using the function would put it 6" away. Actual location could be either or neither. I've even tried expanding swinging in 2 directions to swinging in 3 directions to try to locate targets better--no difference.

Whichever method I'm using, sometimes it seems like the target signal is reflected off of something; other times I lose a (sometimes quite strong) signal entirely.

Is it me, a lack of experience, or just a quirk of the technology?

The reason it matters to me is that I'm trying to reduce the footprint of my holes; smaller footprint = less work and less mess to turf = more holes/targets per hour of swinging. I'd like (eventually) to be able to use only my garden trowel when/where feasible.

As others have noted in other threads, judging depth can be trickier than horizontal location, and that can also complicate recovery. Normally, this isn't an issue for me, but on occasion, when I just can't find the target, I wind up "pinpointing" several times--often chasing different targets once the hole is open.
Bad target (iron) it will be off the spot where one would find a good target (nonferrous).
The iron I have found can be on the rim of the coil.
Good target is right under the spot of where shaft meets coil.

The pinpoint on the remote will increase in sound and the square will fill in the closer you go over the target.

In lawn a U shaped (horse shoe shaped plug) should alway be the first thing.
Hinged lid to the hole dug.
Lets go with a 4" plug (that pretty well takes the grass roots into the plug)

Once the lid is open, then pinpoint.
No sound then the target is deeper than the detecting ability of the pin pointer.
Swing coil over the plug + hole.
No sound?

Ok the target is being masked by the air between the coil and the bottom of the hole.
Dig 2-3" deeper.
Best method in the vertical sided hole is to go straight down, pushing inwards with the disturbed soil.
Take soil out of hole.
Try to pin point again.

Most times the target is there now-happens a few times every time I'm out digging.
The Minelabs hated the air space-the Deus not as bad-but it still happens.

There's also the wiggle back method in pin pointing, the heel edge of the coil works as well.

The main thing with a hinged plug is once the lid is open you can dig a small crater without much disturbance to the grass.
I mastered this while hunting parks and such in the urban, I'd make softballs out of the dirt excavated. Then less mess on the lawn grass. I could dig 10" down and fill it back in and you wouldn't see the hinge.

Fact the disturbed dirt increases 30% in volume, so getting it all back in is the trick.

(Note to reader the hedges have received a ball of dirt a few times over the years):laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back