🥇 BANNER Pewter USA Buttons

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found two pewter USA buttons today in a field near 1/4 mile from the Indian village of Catherine`s Town wiped out by Gen. Sullivan in 1779, i think these buttons are period.
I also found a dropped three ringer,we don`t see many of these this far north .
Found a lot of beer cans and iron too.
Gary Picture 50.jpgPicture 51.jpgPicture 52.jpgPicture 53.jpgPicture 54.jpgPicture 55.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 80
Yeah I personally would think that a nice coat of lacquer would be best but as you know I have zero experience with these nice old pewter button :(-

I think the glue might look a little more natural, but I think the lacquer likely sinks into the cracks better where you often need it. I'm ok with my results, and they are a bit glossy but not too bad, and as long as they are protected now I am good.

I think the glue might look a little more natural, but I think the lacquer likely sinks into the cracks better where you often need it. I'm ok with my results, and they are a bit glossy but not too bad, and as long as they are protected now I am good.

Phew that was close! Lol

Absolutely stunning, significant pieces of American history right there, congratu-freakin-lations!

BANNER!

Excellent find Gary, and two of them will look great together in your display case.

As far as disintegrating over night, well that may be true of some, I don't have them all, but it certainly isn't true of many. I guess an experiment I never coated my RP from 3-4 years ago, and there has been NO deterioration what so ever, nor has there been for any other pewter button I found. I do check often on my very rare 4th reg. button found this past summer, so far it's doing just fine too.

I never liked to put oils, or gunk on any of my coins, so was reluctant to put anything on my buttons, even though I guess the wood glue is a reverseable process. One main reason is if you ever want to do further cleaning, oils, greases, etc. would be problematic for any further processing.

And take this with a grain of salt, but I would have cleaned that rougher looking one a bit before putting something on it. Anywho that is neither here nor there, they are, and will always be great finds, and I will admit that "better safe than sorry"

Good for you well deserved find(s)
Best of luck should head back to that site...I would.

I was gonna say we could all take up a collection to buy Gary some Elmer's glue - but I think he left the house already since
everybody got "all up in his business about it " !! (We could hold a t-net bake sale fund raiser !) Banner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the pair of great buttons Gary, the vote is going in as well. Have a successful return hunt, there may very well be something more hiding.

Those are some fantastic finds, especially with the shanks intact.

Excellent find Gary, and two of them will look great together in your display case.

As far as disintegrating over night, well that may be true of some, I don't have them all, but it certainly isn't true of many. I guess an experiment I never coated my RP from 3-4 years ago, and there has been NO deterioration what so ever, nor has there been for any other pewter button I found. I do check often on my very rare 4th reg. button found this past summer, so far it's doing just fine too.

I never liked to put oils, or gunk on any of my coins, so was reluctant to put anything on my buttons, even though I guess the wood glue is a reverseable process. One main reason is if you ever want to do further cleaning, oils, greases, etc. would be problematic for any further processing.

And take this with a grain of salt, but I would have cleaned that rougher looking one a bit before putting something on it. Anywho that is neither here nor there, they are, and will always be great finds, and I will admit that "better safe than sorry"

Good for you well deserved find(s)
Best of luck should head back to that site...I would.

Yes, his buttons would definitely hold up for a while, and most pewters with an intact edge, especially if grey, would probably last a long time. But I do think most will eventually degrade to some degree, and of course an iron shank, or even a small part of one is a complete game changer. I do think you're playing with fire though, because usually they show little signs to alert you, but in some cases they will hairline crack right through the button.

Wow. You saved some pretty rare items and to have the possible history of them is priceless. Great saves they would have not lasted forever. I was going to vote but see that you had already made it to the top!
Congrats!
HH

Last edited:
Congrats on the Banner.
You are an upstanding member, and deserving of the honor.
You reply to others posts, and help answer others questions.

Wow. You saved some pretty rare items and to have the possible history of them is priceless. Great saves they would have not lasted forever. I was going to vote but see that you had already made it to the top!
Congrats!
HH

Remember that when we start posting RPs and other Loyalist buttons. They are Rev War too. :) (I know I totally just cursed myself)

I'm very late to the party, but what a fantastic score. Huge congrats!

super find Gary! Very nice! Hope ya have even better hunt today-hope to see another post tonight! good luck my friend! JR

Very educational, doubt I will ever see any pewter buttons in my area, big congrats on those Banner findings Gary !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back