Penny sorting with comparitor

Texcollex

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2024
My home-rigged setup is working okay in sorting out the pre-1983 bronze pennies. My eyesight isn't the greatest, so this saves me a good bit of time and eye strain. Maybe I'll find one of those bronze '83s. 😀
1000008397.jpg

Upvote 3
How many solid copper pennies are you finding these days? I imagine the percentage is constantly dropping. More people than you think collect and sort pennies. I have a hoard of pennies I accumulated over several yrs before ‘82. I have around 6,000. They’ve never been examined for rare dates.

Well, this was a $25 box I have had stashed for quite a few years, and I was pretty disappointed. I got, maybe 15%. Only 2 Wheaties. The newest date I saw in this box was 2010. I scanned through some of the shinier ones got rarities, but I don't have much patience for that.

I only dug out my contraption because my dad has left me 7500 or more pennies to sort through. I thought I'd warm up by cleaning out my closet of my own stash.

The last few years I have just separated out my pocket change and saved the copper. I imagine I have around 10k, or so. I pull out the Wheaties, and such. I've only found 1 or 2 Indians in the wild.

Dumping the zincs may be an issue. My main CU charges 5%, or nothing if you roll them. I'm sure banks don't give away coin rolls any more, do they? I'll have to check around.

Well, this was a $25 box I have had stashed for quite a few years, and I was pretty disappointed. I got, maybe 15%. Only 2 Wheaties. The newest date I saw in this box was 2010. I scanned through some of the shinier ones got rarities, but I don't have much patience for that.

I only dug out my contraption because my dad has left me 7500 or more pennies to sort through. I thought I'd warm up by cleaning out my closet of my own stash.

The last few years I have just separated out my pocket change and saved the copper. I imagine I have around 10k, or so. I pull out the Wheaties, and such. I've only found 1 or 2 Indians in the wild.

Dumping the zincs may be an issue. My main CU charges 5%, or nothing if you roll them. I'm sure banks don't give away coin rolls any more, do they? I'll have to check around.
Any bank will give you coin rollers if you ask, at least I have never gotten a no.... but a bag full are also cheap at Wally World..

The error rate seems very low. I did spot checks of occasional handfull of zincs and found no coppers. At the end, I re-ran the coppers and got one zinc (which I may have dropped in there before I decided to use the drawstring bag to prevent that occurrence.

The bank charge is to run the coins through their counter. I was quite surprised by this, myself.

Coinstar at bank dump them without rolls. They do not charge you if you're a member.

Okay, I underestimated my return on the coppers. I found a place to dump the zinc, and it was about $20, so coppers were about 20%.

Okay, I underestimated my return on the coppers. I found a place to dump the zinc, and it was about $20, so coppers were about 20%.
20% is huge. I have done this for a few decades, and keep track. I Haven't gotten 20% coppers since about 2007. It dipped to 19.2% in 2008 and has gone WAY down since then.

20% is huge. I have done this for a few decades, and keep track. I Haven't gotten 20% coppers since about 2007. It dipped to 19.2% in 2008 and has gone WAY down since then.
Yeah, it was s pretty good yield, but this was a box my kids gave me back around 2010, and it was probably in the 19.something range and I just rounded. The zincs were 20 dollars and some-cents.

Unless you get lucky.....
I have a thread where I found over 5000 wheats in $75. Counting the 1959-1982 coppers it was probably 3/4 or more copper. Since then, not so much luck. I typically don’t keep any that are newer than wheaties unless they are S mints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back