Ottoman Pistol

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I bought this off of a dude tonight. I think this is an Ottoman/Turk gun, and I assume it is pre-1898. If anyone can give additional info as to the value of such a wall hanger, I would appreciate it. Also, how can I check if it is loaded safely. I mean, you never know, right? Thanks, folks.
Picture1.jpg

it's a decorative gun 1880-1960...they were largely made in this period most post 1900...was a gun you kept on your belt mostly for tradition...you would draw THE BIG ONES in case of trouble...(more of afashion accesory...)

Upvote 0
if there is no primer on the nipple it cant discharge

Upvote 0
it's a decorative gun 1880-1960...they were largely made in this period most post 1900...was a gun you kept on your belt mostly for tradition...you would draw THE BIG ONES in case of trouble...(more of afashion accesory...)

Are you sure?! It's almost a 15" long pistol. How big were the BIG pistols? Cheers. Nate
Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpg

Upvote 0
I drop loading rod in barrel letting brass either" tink"against breech or "tunk"against lead. Treat as loaded always best. Do not drop ,snap,fire ,even without a percussion cap in place. you only need a spark. Yes i,m overly cautious. Charges have been pulled from old weapons. Dad saw one from musket after it had been to show and tell,passed around classmates snapping hammer. Lacking a loading rod,a dowel could be seated through bore,marked at barrel end then withdrawn and laid along barrel flush with muzzle(keep fingers clear). Nipple usually just ahead of breech plug. dowel end should be even with nipple at least or past toward grip. Any doubt visit capable gunsmith!.

Upvote 0
I drop loading rod in barrel letting brass either" tink"against breech or "tunk"against lead. Treat as loaded always best. Do not drop ,snap,fire ,even without a percussion cap in place. you only need a spark. Yes i,m overly cautious. Charges have been pulled from old weapons. Dad saw one from musket after it had been to show and tell,passed around classmates snapping hammer. Lacking a loading rod,a dowel could be seated through bore,marked at barrel end then withdrawn and laid along barrel flush with muzzle(keep fingers clear). Nipple usually just ahead of breech plug. dowel end should be even with nipple at least or past toward grip. Any doubt visit capable gunsmith!.

Ok. Thank you. Using your suggestion, I carefully inserted a wooden rod down the barrel. I then marked the rod, removed it and have lined it up to the outside of the barrel as shown in the picture. It appears the barrel may be obstructed. Would others surmise it is loaded based on this information?
Picture1.jpg

Upvote 0
Gets my vote for loaded. Not saying try anything but look up blackpowder ,ball puller. Made my own by welding drywall screw to target arrow point(threads match field and loading rod.) Added near bore diameter washer between "puller" and rod to help center it into projectile. oiling bore likely required before attempted pulling. Info from your research will help you be sure gunsmith familiar with such arms. Likely a blackpowder group/club near?you . could be source of reccomendation for smith. Good luck, fun find, mr. nervous puts a small piece of rubber or leather between hammer and nipple on such,just in case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good info Releventchair, you beat me to it. Many people would leave their blackpowder weapons loaded, because the only way to UNload them, was to discharge them. Then you had to clean it, it made noise, you had to do it safely etc etc, so people would just leave them loaded and only put a priming cap on when they were actually ready to use it. Many blackpowder weapons have made their way into gunshops still loaded. You can watch Pawn Stars for a few episodes and you're likely to see it.

Upvote 0
Oh yes. There are some that don,t fire easily,( the exceptions, if done right.) The amazing thing is some of that old powder still up to the task.

Upvote 0
if you look at the cocking mechanism you will see the screw that holds it is modern...post 1900...also the whole mechanism seems that way...as i wrote before was something that you traditionally would keep to your belt...as a fashion accessory...the "big ones" i meant whatever modern gun they would keep for a real gunfight (Smith & Wesson, Pistole Parabellum, Mauser C96 ...the guns that the turks had in that time among many others)

Upvote 0
That guns a beauty,Great conversation piece.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
I'm trying to learn here. What distinguishes the screw and mechanism here as modern from this one which is a Ca. 1840 US percussion cap pistol for example?
Picture1.png

Upvote 0
well you can see for yourself ..modern parts on an old frame...this gun and your gun...(i'm not saying that your gun is worth nothing...i'm just saying it was made for looks...in modern times...AGAIN...I DIDN'T SAY IT'S WORTH 1 CENT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT)

Upvote 0
A safe way to unload most old guns like that is to use an air compressor and a blow gun at the nipple. If it's not too corroded inside the ball will usually pop right out.

Nice gun by the way, that'll look good on the wall!

Upvote 0
At least your pistol appears to be a real weapon and not a tourist replica like I usually see. I remember that there was not much interest in middle eastern weapons until the last 20 years or so. I would expect such a pistol to go for anywhere from $200. to $400. these days. I can't be more precise without examining the gun personally. It would be higher if your gun was a flintlock.

Upvote 0
A safe way to unload most old guns like that is to use an air compressor and a blow gun at the nipple. If it's not too corroded inside the ball will usually pop right out.

Nice gun by the way, that'll look good on the wall!

Excellent Ken, slipped my mind. Co2 unit available too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back