Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out with a buddy hunting to Corpus last weekend and found this in about waist deep water.

Its pretty heavy for its size and it seems to be pretty ornate. Its heavy kinda like lead, but not soft at all.

Im sure it could be anything being it was found in the ocean...just hoping someone might ID it quickly

When I look at it..i swear i see a Jesus on the cross in the middle and an Angel on each side...but I think its my mind making this up

Attachments

• IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
TRY MY EXPERTISE MAYBE A PEICE TO A BUCKLE OR MAYBE TO SHOE OR KNEE. WHAT EVER YOU HAVE THERE IS NEAT .I WILL WAIT TILL MY OTHER COLEAGUES CHIME IN AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.

Upvote 0
TRY MY EXPERTISE MAYBE A PEICE TO A BUCKLE OR MAYBE TO SHOE OR KNEE. WHAT EVER YOU HAVE THERE IS NEAT .I WILL WAIT TILL MY OTHER COLEAGUES CHIME IN AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.
Is your caps lock key still stuck on? :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Take an old pan, put aluminum foil on bottom, add two scoops baking soda. Fill with water. Heat until just below boil. Put that piece in. Take pictures of it. If you see bubbles coming off it then I am willing to bet you got a nice piece of silver. Every 15minutes wash off the black resin on the piece and put back in. Replace aluminum and baking soda as needed. This will start to bring out the features and we might be able to get you a good id.

Upvote 0
I see what you see but it might be an angle with spread wings instead of Jesus, and two cupid angles one on each side, they could be two trumpeting angles.

Upvote 0
man, i don't know but to me that thing radiates "age"! I could see those two figures being angels as well. I am guessing a lead piece?

Upvote 0
man, i don't know but to me that thing radiates "age"! I could see those two figures being angels as well. I am guessing a lead piece?

It is heavy for sure, but doesnt have that lead weight I would think it should have. Im going to try what Crispin mentioned above to see if it helps clean it or to see if its silver or eliminate that from the list.

Upvote 0

lead melts with soldering iron, silver doesn't

silver produces bubbles in previously explained pan, lead doesn't

Clean it up, it looks old to my eyes as well.

Upvote 0
It is heavy for sure, but doesnt have that lead weight I would think it should have. Im going to try what Crispin mentioned above to see if it helps clean it or to see if its silver or eliminate that from the list.

If you do it tonight then I can be online and you can PM for help. Once you get the hang of the pan it is easy but it can be a little tricky at first. The baking soda will give off bubbles throughout the pan, you are specifically looking for bubbles to form on the metal itself. Take a picture and I can tell you. Silver will also leave black oxidation specs on the aluminum foil. You should see thinning areas on the aluminum where the silver "stole" electrons. Give the aluminum foil a good crumple first and then flatten out. this will cause it to shine a little and make it easier for electron exchange.

Good luck! Can't wait to see that piece come back silver.

Upvote 0
If you do it tonight then I can be online and you can PM for help. Once you get the hang of the pan it is easy but it can be a little tricky at first. The baking soda will give off bubbles throughout the pan, you are specifically looking for bubbles to form on the metal itself. Take a picture and I can tell you. Silver will also leave black oxidation specs on the aluminum foil. You should see thinning areas on the aluminum where the silver "stole" electrons. Give the aluminum foil a good crumple first and then flatten out. this will cause it to shine a little and make it easier for electron exchange.

Good luck! Can't wait to see that piece come back silver.

Thanks Cripsin!

I will for sure do it tonight and take some pics. I wanted to last night, but the wifey already gets pissed when I do this stuff when she is around :laughing7:

I will keep you posted! Thanks again for the tip!

Upvote 0
Thanks Cripsin!

I will for sure do it tonight and take some pics. I wanted to last night, but the wifey already gets pissed when I do this stuff when she is around :laughing7:

I will keep you posted! Thanks again for the tip!

Brother, I hear you on the wife thing! I looked at the pic magnified and I saw pitting in the metal. Silver does this from years and years of being exposed to salt water. I'll be on around 7:30pm. I think you got yourself a really nice piece.

Upvote 0
***UPDATED***

Well, I did what Crispin mentioned above and all i can say is WOW! It actually came clean just from the water, baking soda and aluminum.

I still not sure if its 100% Silver, but it did clean up and even tore a hole thru the aluminum.

Here are some pics of how it looks after 25 minutes of cleaning. I took it out then because the water was all black.

Right when I dropped it in the water turned black where it was sitting.

Still would love to know what it is...I know it could be nothing..but i want to have some hope..lol

Cooking.JPGHole.JPGFront 1.JPGFront 2.JPGBack.JPG

Upvote 0
Holy smokes! I am 100% positive that is silver. There is nothing else it could be. Do not acid test cause it will damage the piece.
Picture 1: all that black stuff in the bottom is the oxidized silver that came off; hence, why the new piece is shiny.
Picture 2: the silver stole electrons from the aluminum in order to reduce to its base outer valence electron shell of charge plus 2...and become shiny. Only other things that will do that are noble metals: rhodium, gold, platinum...and a few rare ones.
Pictures 3 and 5: Show the typical pitting from salt water. This is due to a small amount of impurity that reacts and dissolves in the salt water, usually copper.

I believe you have a medallion from a Spanish necklace that would have been worn with a chain or rope around the neck. It is Jesus on the cross being called home to heaven by two angels with silver trumpets. A common theme. WorldTalker may be able to give you more info.

The spanish would gather silver and other trade-able goods from central America and then sail around the coast until they reached Florida. They hugged the coast so they could keep land in sight and take shelter from storms. Also replenish food and water. It was safer then trying to navigate straight across. Corpus Christi was well known as a stopping place. In spanish it means "Body of Christ." That piece is 500 years old! Remarkable.

Throw it in oil or it will tarnish overnight and turn black again. You could clean it again but you lose silver every time you do.

I am nominating banner. For us Gulf hunters it does not get any better then that.

Call me up any time you want to hunt. :)

Crispin

Upvote 0
Actually, forget everything I just said. After taking a closer look I have determined it is just another "fire nugget..." just throw it into Aluminum recycling. Darn campfires on the beach...they are tricky little devils ;)

Upvote 0
Just caught this...

Any way I could see the "top" of this piece ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually its "the cross of Caravaca". ... IMO

It has been snapped off...
Only half there.

1%20cross%20angels.jpgcaravaca.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually its "the cross of Caravaca". ... IMO

It has been snapped off...
Only half there.

View attachment 1190690View attachment 1190691

I think the top part of the cross broke off. Represented by Green.

I think it was worn with a rope or chain through the top two holes. Red represents the rounding from rubbing up against the silver....or it could just be a fire nugget...

attachment.php.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey Diggin-N-Dumps, I'd like to welcome you as a highly esteemed member of the Fire Nugget Club.

Congratulations on a fantastic find!

Upvote 0
I need to add a footnote to the information I gave about the movements of the Spanish in the 1500s and 1600s. I would like to thank GIB, he has given me a wealth of education. Also, I sincerely hope Diggin accepts our offer to be the third member of the "Fire Nugget Club."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back