Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out with a buddy hunting to Corpus last weekend and found this in about waist deep water.

Its pretty heavy for its size and it seems to be pretty ornate. Its heavy kinda like lead, but not soft at all.

Im sure it could be anything being it was found in the ocean...just hoping someone might ID it quickly

When I look at it..i swear i see a Jesus on the cross in the middle and an Angel on each side...but I think its my mind making this up

Attachments

• IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Hey Diggin-N-Dumps, I'd like to welcome you as a highly esteemed member of the Fire Nugget Club.

Congratulations on a fantastic find!

Thank you and Crispin for the input on this...hopefully Im not about to get punk'd..lol

Upvote 0
Yeah, about 6 melted aluminum cans I figure.

Upvote 0
I've been doing some research on the cross. Everything I have found is much more ornate. I'm guessing the mold was hand carved and silver melted to it right there on the beach.

Upvote 0
Boromir: "Have you ever seen it Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

Enter sound clip by relevantchair...

Upvote 0

That seen was the clue to readers from J.R.R. that Boromir would sacrifice himself for the hobbits.

I would like to have Worldtalker comment on the history of the silver trumpets. I believe it is mostly old testament. somebody should page him. I'm out for the night. Long day ahead of me...awesome find.

Upvote 0
Is there any way I could authenticate it? I wouldn't even know where to start

Upvote 0
Keep digging for a type and possible origins.
Caravaca is a place in Spain as well as the alleged origin of the angels used.
Maybe 1700's on up to next type designs.
Your piece may not have been double barred but does seem to feature the angels from Caravaca...
The other possibility would be the other two men also crucified, but doubtful from the appearance on yours..
Somewhere the open background/pierced look to piece must have been recognized if produced in quantity or at least as an accepted style..

Caravaca relic cross
Caravaca cross
Bronze, Italy
20th Century
5 inches

Caravaca Cross
The Caravaca cross with double cross bar, body of Christ, and two angels is one of the most popular forms in Mexico and Spain. Franciscan missionaries brought the cross to the new world. In 1943, when the burial crypt of Father Serra (1713-1784), the Franciscan founder of the California missions, was opened, a Caravaca style relic cross was found. The cross is now on display at the Carmel Mission. One version of the legend of the origin of the Caravaca cross is as follows. When the Moors captured their prisoners they determined whether they had any particular skill, and if the skill was worthwhile their life would be spared. One day they captured a priest and asked him what tools he needed to show his trade. He asked for a table, three linen cloths, two candles, a cup, bread, wine, and a crucifix. He was provided with everything except for the crucifix. Without the crucifix, he could not perform his trade. On the verge of being put to death, two angels arrived carrying a cross. They held it over the table while the priest said mass and his life was spared. The cross was attributed to the patriarch of Jerusalem and included a piece of the True Cross. Another version has the cross appearing while the priest was taken to be executed. The Moorish lord converted, and the priest was saved. The townspeople of Caravaca, Spain shaped a replica of the cross out of metal and provided space for relics to be inserted. A Festival of the Holy Cross is held there every May. Not all crosses include the angels on the side.
(From) Cross & Crucifix: Glossary

Heres a piece from Ebay I'm tired of trying to find there.
discribed as...
OLD SPANISH AWESOME BIG SILVER JESUS CHRIST IN CROSS MISSION HOLY MEDAL 16-17 TH

soup-line.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there any way I could authenticate it? I wouldn't even know where to start

I would contact the Corpus Christi Museum. It is obviously not modern. I'm not sure you could ever 100% authenticate it but a museum should be able to tell you with a degree of certainity if we are right.

In my head, you pulled it from known Spanish trade route, it is definitely silver, it appears to be very old....Solved.

Upvote 0
I would contact the Corpus Christi Museum. It is obviously not modern. I'm not sure you could ever 100% authenticate it but a museum should be able to tell you with a degree of certainity if we are right.

In my head, you pulled it from known Spanish trade route, it is definitely silver, it appears to be very old....Solved.

Thanks for all yalls help!

Upvote 0
Congrats on a really nice find! I believe that Crispin and the others are dead on with the identification and that it came from a Spanish ship, whether a shipwreck or lost overboard. You should get back to that area and search every inch you can as there may be many more items that might point to a shipwreck just offshore of the area. If more items are found, they may point more to the time period the items were lost at sea.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back