Beginnings of a five gallon bucket winter garden

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Moved about 1 month ago so I had to leave my bed. Buckets seemed like a great alternative. Cabbage and lettuce is what I’m going for. This is about 2-3 weeks growth from seed. The far right bucket a the bottom are new cabbage sprouts. Did not take long at all! I’m gonna thin a usual, and like I did with the plants you see attempt to separate and put into individual buckets. Seems to be going ok but growing kinda “leggy”, so I’ve been burying the stems. Wish me luck, any advice is more than appreciated!! Thanks for viewing! IMG_1838.jpeg

Moved about 1 month ago so I had to leave my bed. Buckets seemed like a great alternative. Cabbage and lettuce is what I’m going for. This is about 2-3 weeks growth from seed. The far right bucket a the bottom are new cabbage sprouts. Did not take long at all! I’m gonna thin a usual, and like I did with the plants you see attempt to separate and put into individual buckets. Seems to be going ok but growing kinda “leggy”, so I’ve been burying the stems. Wish me luck, any advice is more than appreciated!! Thanks for viewing! View attachment 2174389
Good luck.

Winter us challenging for growing.
It's just nature's way of letting life have a sleep.

Just planting the hoop house with lettuce now.
Should get an early crop first thing in the new year.

Winter us challenging for growing.
It's just nature's way of letting life have a sleep.

Just planting the hoop house with lettuce now.
Should get an early crop first thing in the new year.
Good luck 🌶️!! I’ll bet the winters you guys get are extremely challenging! Lettuce in my experience is difficult even without the extremes in temperature.

Interesting, I've never tried what you're doing and please post the results as they go. I'm still getting a few things to dine on out of my garden. The cilantro I planted earlier grew up went to seed and died. Now I have some fresh new plants growing from those seeds that fell.

Last edited:
Interesting, I've never tried what you're doing and please post the results as they go. I'm still getting a few things to dine on out of my garden. The cilantro I planted earlier grew up went to seed and died. Now I have some fresh new plants growing from those seeds that fell.
Will do Tam!! I never had success at cilantro lol!

Light in winter is an issue, that's why they stretch. Also be sure to have drainage holes in the buckets, as overwatering can be a big issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back