Ornate decorative emblem ... ??? (gold, brass, other ... ) {New images}

jmwilson

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2010
:help:

(Updated with smaller images, which should fit on just about any display.)

Hello all...

This is my first decent find... on my first day with my metal detector...

After a few hours of finding old nails from an 1840s era squatter's cabin, we decide to work where an old road bed crossed a creek. The piece was a little over 12" under the bank of the creek. The first 3-4" of digging was through very large and dense roots. After that it was sand, rocks, and mud.

The piece came out of the sand and mud looking exactly as the pictures show - a brilliant shiny gold color. (I have not polished it or done anything to it.) My first impression was brass, but then I remembered that any brass left outdoors has a green color (due to the high copper content). So, I am left thinking this might actually be gold. The piece is fairly thin in places and it seems that the design was either stamped or hand engraved.

The first picture includes a penny (new and clean) and a dime for size and color reference. The other pictures just show the piece alone - both front and back.

First, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas what this piece is ... and what the design means?

Second, I would like to know if this is gold?
(I do plan to have it tested, but experienced opinions are welcomed.)

The piece was found in North Carolina.

thanks,
john

Attachments

• front_with_penny_and_dime.JPG
    front_with_penny_and_dime.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 515
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 504
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 520
  • edge_1.jpg
    edge_1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 518
  • edge_2.jpg
    edge_2.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 506
  • edge_3.jpg
    edge_3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 507
  • edge_4.jpg
    edge_4.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 499
Re: Ornate decorative emblem ... something another ??? (gold, brass, other ... ???)

Welcome to tnet, I think this is the finest treasure forum available and what you have found today is very interesting. don't know what it is but I'm sure someone here will have an educated guess.

Good Luck and HH

Upvote 0
Re: Ornate decorative emblem ... something another ??? (gold, brass, other ... ???)

It looks like melted gold metal where the gold pooled over a metal ornament? Thats is my story and I am sticking to it until something better comes up!

Upvote 0

It does look like it was melted over something. I've seen civil war period brass come out looking like that a couple times in wet & swampy areas but don't have any idea what you piece is.

Upvote 0

resize it please!!! I tried with my system and got it a little Smaller!!!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 616
Upvote 0

Do you have a scale? gold items that size should weigh 20 -25 grams at least. It looks like gold but I am not sure if you should clean it more or have it tested first. Also I don't think gold cracks very easy so I don't know, I hope it is. Please try a smaller picture too

Upvote 0

Interesting find! not sure what it is, but I like it!

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

I believe it is gold to have come out of the ground looking like that. Every-
thing else metal would be tarnished.

Upvote 0

Another Brass back plate to a furniture Drawer pull, turn it on its side.

Upvote 0
Re: Ornate decorative emblem ... something another ??? (gold, brass, other ... ?

Welcome to the Forum! Have you tried to scrape a small area to see what color it is inside? Nice find, Breezie

Upvote 0

CRUSADER said:

I'll add some images (above) that show a side view. From what I can tell it is the same material throughout. I base this on how some regions are broken off and you can clearly see the cross sectional composition.

Not sure what difference this makes. I would assume a furniture drawer would be made from a single type of material, especially if it was old. I think it's reasonable that this could be from a piece of furniture.

However, isn't it reasonable to think that brass would be tarnished after many decades in such a wet environment?

thanks for the help,

john

Upvote 0

jmwilson said:
CRUSADER said:

I'll add some images (above) that show a side view. From what I can tell it is the same material throughout. I base this on how some regions are broken off and you can clearly see the cross sectional composition.

Not sure what difference this makes. I would assume a furniture drawer would be made from a single type of material, especially if it was old. I think it's reasonable that this could be from a piece of furniture.

However, isn't it reasonable to think that brass would be tarnished after many decades in such a wet environment?

thanks for the help,

john

looks dis-coloured to me, nothing makes me think of anything other than brass.

Upvote 0
Re: Ornate decorative emblem ... something another ??? (gold, brass, other ... ?

Breezie said:
Welcome to the Forum! Have you tried to scrape a small area to see what color it is inside? Nice find, Breezie

I have not scraped it. I was planning to have someone test it to determine what type of metal it is...

thanks,
john

Upvote 0
I have to say, that looks like gold. Is it heavy? If it's gold, what a fantastic find.

Upvote 0
Looks like high karat gold to me....

Scott

Upvote 0
It looks like a 'mammy made' sand cast of some type of jewelry. Is it heavy? What does your MD say it is? What does it smell like? Brass has a very distinct odor. Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
It looks like a 'mammy made' gold sand cast of some type of jewelry. Is it heavy? What does your MD say it is? What does it smell like? Brass has a very distinct odor. Breezie

Mammy-made?
Oh, Breezie, tell me more about your olfactory abilities...

Scott

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back