Old Coins?

blownbudget

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I'm new to this site and was looking to see if anyone could help identify these. I pulled these out of the ground yesterday in the middle of a field on an old dairy farm I got permission to hunt here in SoCal. When i dug the first one, I kinda thought it might be trash but then I dug 2 more. They appear to be copper and the same size or a little larger than a US quarter. All 3 are very worn with no visible writing. Coins? Trash that looks like coins? What do you think?

Attachments

• oldcoin.JPG
    oldcoin.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 160
  • oldcoins.JPG
    oldcoins.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to Tnet! You may have to do a little electrolysis on them to see if there any markings.

Upvote 0
Try a close up of both sides of each one of them under natural light with the macro setting on your camera. No electrolysis yet!

Upvote 0
More Pics

Went back and found a 4th today. It too is in bad condition with no visible details. The last picture is a coin I found online that is very similar and the same size.

Attachments

• 101_0800.JPG
    101_0800.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 101_0801.JPG
    101_0801.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 101_0804.JPG
    101_0804.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 101_0805.JPG
    101_0805.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 101_0806.JPG
    101_0806.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 101_0807.JPG
    101_0807.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 101_0802.JPG
    101_0802.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 101_0803.JPG
    101_0803.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 115
  • romancoin.jpg
    romancoin.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
Since you found several, with not even one of them showing any markings, they are probably brass flatbuttons. If they are coins, they'll be copper, not brass. You'll need to make a tiny nick on the edge of the disc with a pocketknife to see whether the metal under the corrosion is yellow, or pink.

Upvote 0
Since you found several, with not even one of them showing any markings, they are probably brass flatbuttons. If they are coins, they'll be copper, not brass. You'll need to make a tiny nick on the edge of the disc with a pocketknife to see whether the metal under the corrosion is yellow, or pink.

It looks like copper to me but I am no expert. I will try to post another picture showing it tonight.

I took them to a local coin shop to see what they thought they might be. They said they look like old coins. Maybe Spanish or Roman. They also said they might just be trash. They said maybe old round copper shims.

Upvote 0
Actually, instead of nicking or scratching them, simply swipe them under an ID detector and see what number you get. Brass will read much lower than copper.

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy is right, that's a better method if you own a detector which can specifically ID various metals. None of my detectors tell the specific ID of a metal by its numerical "score" -- so, on that subject, my mind is still stuck in 20th-Century thinking.

By the way... I normally would not recommend nicking a relic to ID the metal. I did so in this case because it seems to be too badly corroded for a tiny nick to hurt its value.

Upvote 0
You said you found a simular coin online, was there any sort of idea from that site that could help id it?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, instead of nicking or scratching them, simply swipe them under an ID detector and see what number you get. Brass will read much lower than copper.

That was a good idea. They are definitely copper. They read 79-80 on my AT Pro which is the same as a penny. Now the questions is what are they?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back