🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Old Button Found

DiggingThePast777

Feb 8, 2021
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I'm pretty sure is an old Button taking a walk in a field it was sitting on the top of the ground I took it home grinded a toothpick down and began cleaning the cruddy dirt off but if you do it for too long it will take the lettering off i don't have an Andre's pencils and I should probably wait till I get a set to further clean it shouldn't I or is there a better method does anybody recognize the brand and the lettering on this button is it old please help me out folks give me some info here😉
2023-8-6 20-49-47.jpg
2023-8-6 20-49-39.jpg
2023-8-6 20-46-37.jpg

if you had better pictures we could probably read the lettering ourselves. needs to be in focus, and dont use the flash. Try natural light during the day. like in a window sill. you might get lucky though, if someone has dug one similar and recognizes it.

Upvote 0
Your find is what most button-collectors and relicdiggers call a brass 1-piece "flatbutton." The backmark being written in raised lettering, and saying "London" means your flatbutton was made sometime during 1790-1812, in Britain. Although it could have been made in the 1820 to early-1830s, the War -of-1812 stopped the imports, and patriotic Americans boycotted British-made goods for many years after the war ended. These brass "flatbuttons" were made in the multi-millions, for use on Civilian clothing. So they are not classified as a Military button, even though a few Militia units did use flatbuttons on their uniforms, when they couldn't afford Military-emblem buttons.

The manufacture of flatbuttons dwindled to a trickle in the mid-1830s, having fallen out of favor with the public due to the advent in INEXPENSIVE brass 2-piece buttons with very "ornate" emblems or designs on their front.

Attachments

• Buttons_TYPES_1piece-2piece-3piece_Albert-book)TN.jpg
    Buttons_TYPES_1piece-2piece-3piece_Albert-book)TN.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back