Picture 021.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,211
Only thing that comes to mind is a box for making quail dizzy. I live near a game reserve and there are a few hunting lodges around. They offer bird hunting to city guys with more money then brains. They put the birds in the box and turn it and release them. They are disoriented and fly in circles while the paying customers stand there and shoot them. What great sportsmen they are...

Upvote 0
National lottery ball tumbler

Upvote 0
Babies fair ground ride

Upvote 0
Don't have a clue, but I'm curious as to why the outside wooden
circle is grooved. Looks like a rope or leather belt may have been used to drive it, like a sheave on a pully.

Upvote 0
It's the spin cycle... not for anything hard cause it woulda tore the wood all up. The base is fairly simple so I don't think it hooked to anything with real pressure like a engine driven drive...

jeez... I have no idea...

Upvote 0
BINGO!

no seriously.. i think its a bingo ball or raffle ticket mixer upper.

Upvote 0
Could it have been for flialing beans?? Put the bean pods in and tumble? I have photos of this being done in a sack and beating it with a stick.

VPR

Upvote 0
It's Karl & Grabres martini mixer, they traded it for 2 chickens. The "pulley was connected to the donkey-drive. Had to be made from wood, anything too shiney & der Parson would have busted 'em ;)

Smitty

Upvote 0
savant365 said:
Only thing that comes to mind is a box for making quail dizzy. I live near a game reserve and there are a few hunting lodges around. They offer bird hunting to city guys with more money then brains. They put the birds in the box and turn it and release them. They are disoriented and fly in circles while the paying customers stand there and shoot them. What great sportsmen they are...
They do this to pen-raised birds for early release, kinda like "stocking" the land. They will put 'em in a bag, spin 'em around a dozen times and place them in a nest that's been made for them in the "field". This is more or less to keep them from straying off too far from their release spot. Of course you have to put out feed for them for a couple weeks too, until they get used to being in the wild. Releasing pen raised coveys is more common than you'd think when it comes to areas that don't have many wild quail. I don't know about spinning them then releasing them to be shot at that immediate time though, that's a little ridiculous. They are usually released early, well in advance before hunting season begins. The pen raised quail don't compare to wild quail when it comes to the challenge of shooting one but they taste just as good.

As for the box I don't know. I wouldn't think you would need a pulley system to spin a few birds. I was actually thinking it's for the mixing of grain for feed or maybe wild bird seed even.

Upvote 0
Maybe its for mixing flour and dry ingredients for someone who baked alot .......I can see it now " Look honey what I made you so you can bake bread easier for me and the 17 kids I begat you with ! "

Upvote 0
Possibly it is a tumbler for coating seeds with bichloride of mercury before planting.This was
a popular treatment until banned in the 1970s.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
Since it was found in a barn, I guessing it is a mixer of some kind (feed, seed, etc). It looks to new to be exposed to water or the elements.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back