Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So over a couple of different hunts I have now found 4 of these URO's (Unidentified Round Objects) in a field. Found them in different locations....they were not together. They look old and were pretty deep. I have found other old stuff in this field...an IHP, a V Nickel, a harmonica reed, etc. They gave me a mid-tone signal 09-07 on the Minelab SE Pro (for comparison, a nickel is generally 10-05). I think they are copper, slightly larger than a nickle, and they are VERY thin. I can't see any detail on them so I don't think they are coins but who knows. Maybe old play money? Tokens of some kind? I'm stumped.

Attachments

• URO 1.jpg
    URO 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 181
  • URO 2.jpg
    URO 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 165
  • URO 3.jpg
    URO 3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
When we find them on the beach from 18th century shipwrecks we call them "razors". Knockouts from electrical boxes are made of steel and rust, not copper. Toasted early coins is the best guess.

Upvote 0
try using a low-angle LED light next to a "coin" on flat surface - try diffierent viewpoints from that low angle - should get a little detail,
THEN send us a look...!
Thanks!
....Great Finds, by the way...! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Old English farthings or half pennies. More likely farthings.

My guess as well. I'm going with 1700's King George farthings. They might be contemporary counterfeits, which is why they're so toasted.

Upvote 0
give 1 only a 3-5 minute electrolysis, then a finger rub with baking soda to clean the black film that gets deposited on the "coin"-------you will see the base metal and a real good chance there will be minimal details. my bet is they are farthings. a little jelly or cream cheese:laughing7: since they are TOASTED

Upvote 0
Knock out plugs Ive dug many see if you can bend fairly easily

Upvote 0
Mr. D, we have found similar slugs, and we are also in Mass. It's maddening when they are too far worn (if they are indeed coins). In the top left photo, the "coin" on the bottom left almost looks as though it has a very faint bust silhouette, but that could just be my eyes going buggy. Happy digging! -Lisa & John

Upvote 0
If they're magnetic, they're junction box knockouts. If they're not, I'm sticking with farthings...

Upvote 0
If they are thin and quite light chances they are off the ends of the carbon rods for the old batteries, just a guess.

Upvote 0
Take an exacto knife and nick one on the edge. They're already toast. I also think I see a bust on the one on the left.

Upvote 0
Knockouts would have little "ear"or"ears" on the edge where they where broken off at.....prolly old coins....peace out!

Only the ones that are pre-punched. I have a knock out tool that leaves them clean.

Upvote 0
So they made brass electrical boxes? Someone send me a pic....I haven't seen one.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back