oil painting with twisted nose

firesalt

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this painting hanging around now for some years and my curiosity is getting the better of me. I am curious as to the style and the artist. It is very dirty and the girl has a halo but its hard to see. I guess the most outstanding feature is the way the nose is painted, it is a little off. Any help would be nice.
Thanks
firesalt
IMG_0056.JPGIMG_0055.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0054.JPG

I agree with Trikikiwi...this painting/setting was probably done for a wealthy family , a family member with that condition? also look at upper lip. very unusual painting.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
not to sound stupid here , but looking at picture #1 you have a good angle on it and the light is shining on it ,, i can not see any paint strokes , it looks like a old painting and maybe the brush marks do not show up , but can you clarify if it is a painting or a print ?

Upvote 0
not to sound stupid here , but looking at picture #1 you have a good angle on it and the light is shining on it ,, i can not see any paint strokes , it looks like a old painting and maybe the brush marks do not show up , but can you clarify if it is a painting or a print ?

good question....I looked at it through a magnifing glass and saw traces of raised paint so I still think its a painting. There are no id marks anywhere, front or back.

Upvote 0
It looks like she is not wearing a shirt.

Maybe the artist was "Titian"? :laughing7:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hello firesalt

Welcome to the art appreciation department of TNet. I think DCMatt is on the case.

It looks like a grotesque Mary Magdalene after Titian:

N-T0001-002-st-mary-magdalene-about.jpg

or after El Greco:

st-mary-magdalene.jpg!xlMedium.jpg

or after Guido Reni:

reni-saint-mary-magdalene-NG177-fm.jpg

How did you come by this painting? Please show a view of the back.

Upvote 0
Mary Magdalen!... Excellent team work on the theme there...
This is "twisted" but very interesting

Upvote 0
I was told by the person I bought it from there was a gendra of making fun of christians by portraying them "less than perfect". He is a wheeler and dealer in old stuff. He acquired it from a picker who dropped by his place who had freshly picked it from an attic that day . My friend , who I know quite well had it hanging in his living room for a few years and could never find any info on it. He is more into metal and not computer friendly. I would remark about how I liked it....one day he made me a resonable offer I couldn't refuse. I will try and post a more straight on picture whenever we get some natural sunlight, but the weather says cloudy for a few days. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Could be a piece of folkart by a talented artist whose name we will never know. As for the subject, I do think that the Magdalene or other religious figure is a good guess, with her adoring eyes cast up towards heaven. The twisted nose is interesting..maybe the artist used his wife or mother as a model, or maybe he was going for cubist look, where anything goes.

As an aside, Isn't it strange that the Magdalene is usually depicted by artists as having light skin and hair? I imagine that she would have been more olive complected..although, I suppose that Jesus, who is usually painted with light skin and sandy hair would probably have had a darker, middle eastern complexion as well. I guess those Renaissance artists were European and probably painted them to look like Europeans. Something to think about.

Upvote 0
ok...so am I the only one who doesn't care who it is?

the framing on this painting looks to be amateur at best... that is not how one mounts a painting.
the nails an wood appear to date to the twenties...perhaps a bit later...pull one of the nails to date that mount more accurately
the edges of the canvas appear to have been roughly cut...as in removed quickly from the professional mount..
since the frame is gone...that dating tech. won't help.
if it is mary...
perhaps a veteran bring home from some Flemish or german home...

Upvote 0
ok...so am I the only one who doesn't care who it is?

the framing on this painting looks to be amateur at best... that is not how one mounts a painting.
the nails an wood appear to date to the twenties...perhaps a bit later...pull one of the nails to date that mount more accurately
the edges of the canvas appear to have been roughly cut...as in removed quickly from the professional mount..
since the frame is gone...that dating tech. won't help.
if it is mary...
perhaps a veteran bring home from some Flemish or german home...

Don't you think that this website is a good forum for people who are curious about what they have found? It's entertaining to many of us to conjecture and guess and research what these things may be..whether it's a rock, a fossil, a twisted piece of iron or an interesting work of art. I think that this post has sparked some interesting discussion!

Upvote 0
Don't you think that this website is a good forum for people who are curious about what they have found? It's entertaining to many of us to conjecture and guess and research what these things may be..whether it's a rock, a fossil, a twisted piece of iron or an interesting work of art. I think that this post has sparked some interesting discussion!
It can be addicting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back