Officially OvErStimUlated. 1783 1/2 REALE

K

KirkTN

I'll admit that I get detecting on the brain sometimes, especially after staying up late reading post and looking at pictures here on TNet. Well, on one such night here recently, when I finally went to bed :tard: I had a vivid dream that I dug up a Spanish Reale. Woke up the next morning thinkin' "now that was a fun dream." :D Well, today I wen't out to hit a new spot with Brother John37115 and the dream came true. I found my First, a 1783 Charles III 1/2 Reale. It was only about 5 inches deep and bent, from a plow I would guess. It also has a small hole punched at the top. Worn around someones neck I suppose. You Talk about excited :o. I Reale was. I know little about reales, If anyone has info or can refer me to a website where I can read more about the markings etc. I'd appreciate it. I also found a Nice Coat Size Union Infantry Button the day before. Looks like some nice gilt under the surface. I'll post more pics when I have it properly cleaned. The shank is missing and the back mark reads (Fine Gold Plate) and has an eagle. Found a couple flat buttons, one Tomback Button and the one decorative piece, not sure what it's off of. Well, I'll quit rambling and add the pics.

;D

Treasure The Hunt
KirkTN

Attachments

• Group pic finds 3-23 & 3-24-09.jpg
    Group pic finds 3-23 & 3-24-09.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Bent Reale in dirt.jpg
    Bent Reale in dirt.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,292
  • reale bent reverse.jpg
    reale bent reverse.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Kirk with Reale find.jpg
    Kirk with Reale find.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 1783 half reale.jpg
    1783 half reale.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Falf Reale reverse.jpg
    Falf Reale reverse.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Union Infantry Button Front.jpg
    Union Infantry Button Front.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Upvote 0
Heya there! GREAT Half Real you found!

Believe it or not, the half reals I've found have all been crappy--bent, holed, flattened, or even cut--and worn down to nothing. Yours is acutally really good in terms of wear.

Nice work on the bending--I've seen small silvers like those (and especially 3c silvers) break when folks have tried to bend them back. The boiling water certainly helped you out--the metal on the back side before unbending it was already stressed from the bend.

Great hunt! The clasp may be a piece of hardware off an old trunk. The eagle button is great too. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Fantastic find! :thumbsup:

Congrats, Kirk, on your first 1/2 Real! :icon_king: :icon_king:

I think heating the coin to soften the metal was a good move. If you hadn't done that, it might have split in two.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

great find kirk

BuckleBoy said:
Heya there! GREAT Half Real you found!

Believe it or not, the half reals I've found have all been crappy--bent, holed, flattened, or even cut--and worn down to nothing. Yours is acutally really good in terms of wear.

Nice work on the bending--I've seen small silvers like those (and especially 3c silvers) break when folks have tried to bend them back. The boiling water certainly helped you out--the metal on the back side before unbending it was already stressed from the bend.

Great hunt! The clasp may be a piece of hardware off an old trunk. The eagle button is great too. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Captn_SE said:
Fantastic find! :thumbsup:

Congrats, Kirk, on your first 1/2 Real! :icon_king: :icon_king:

I think heating the coin to soften the metal was a good move. If you hadn't done that, it might have split in two.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks BB and CAPTN, I was a little concerned with straightening it. If it hadn't responded to such a gentle press, I was gonna leave it alone. The Boiling Water for about 3 minutes was just right. Theres still a little crease in it but it's flat enough for what I wanted.

Yours is in way better shape than mine and believe me, I was adequately stimulated when I found it! Congrats on that old silver.

Man great find. Maybe I need to sleep more! Congrats now I am off to bed lol.

Nice reale find.... :thumbsup:

They use to put holes in them and sew them into their clothes, hole could be because of that...............Either way really nice find................... That is worth 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great finds! the reale is cool no matter the condition like you said not going anywhere anyway being the first.The rest is great also, always is. i enjoy looking at ya'lls post always got some good finds and pics. keep them coming! :thumbsup: thanks titan

Sure does feel great, I dug my first reale last weekend and know the feeling. Congats.
Marty

titan said:
great finds! the reale is cool no matter the condition like you said not going anywhere anyway being the first.The rest is great also, always is. i enjoy looking at ya'lls post always got some good finds and pics. keep them coming! :thumbsup: thanks titan

Thanks Titan. That sure is a cute Baby in your avatar
Andie Rigney said:
Thanks Andie, I've been hoping to find one. How many have you found?
Kirk,I have a dime that's holed in the same place as urs 1770's. But my favorite is the 1783 "Piece of Eight" from the Spanish milled dollar.It's much thicker.I looked today,and I have them locked in my safety deposit box.Hope you will give me a raincheck on posting them for now,but sure will later. P.S. Looks like you and brother John will have control of Middle Tn,I've bought me a house out of Middle Tn.I'm turning it over to yall! lol Andie

Andie, I'm startin to think you've done got all the Belt and Box plates in Middle TN. LOL

That sure is a sweet coin - congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back