Officially OvErStimUlated. 1783 1/2 REALE

K

KirkTN

I'll admit that I get detecting on the brain sometimes, especially after staying up late reading post and looking at pictures here on TNet. Well, on one such night here recently, when I finally went to bed :tard: I had a vivid dream that I dug up a Spanish Reale. Woke up the next morning thinkin' "now that was a fun dream." :D Well, today I wen't out to hit a new spot with Brother John37115 and the dream came true. I found my First, a 1783 Charles III 1/2 Reale. It was only about 5 inches deep and bent, from a plow I would guess. It also has a small hole punched at the top. Worn around someones neck I suppose. You Talk about excited :o. I Reale was. I know little about reales, If anyone has info or can refer me to a website where I can read more about the markings etc. I'd appreciate it. I also found a Nice Coat Size Union Infantry Button the day before. Looks like some nice gilt under the surface. I'll post more pics when I have it properly cleaned. The shank is missing and the back mark reads (Fine Gold Plate) and has an eagle. Found a couple flat buttons, one Tomback Button and the one decorative piece, not sure what it's off of. Well, I'll quit rambling and add the pics.

;D

Treasure The Hunt
KirkTN

Attachments

• Group pic finds 3-23 & 3-24-09.jpg
    Group pic finds 3-23 & 3-24-09.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Bent Reale in dirt.jpg
    Bent Reale in dirt.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,292
  • reale bent reverse.jpg
    reale bent reverse.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Kirk with Reale find.jpg
    Kirk with Reale find.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 1783 half reale.jpg
    1783 half reale.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Falf Reale reverse.jpg
    Falf Reale reverse.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Union Infantry Button Front.jpg
    Union Infantry Button Front.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Upvote 0
I've been dreaming of one of those myself. Maybe tomorrow will be my day :tongue3:
Congratulations little brother you sure have worked hard to find that first that spanish silver, so I would say you deserve it. High Five YAAAHHH!!!

Nice one - even a great shot for the Mug Shots section of the forum :thumbsup:

i had info on reales since i found the 2 reale but i cant find it. if you google it i know its in there somewhere. what a feeling huh. congrats willy.

Andie Rigney said:
I knew it was just going to be a matter of time before one of you recovered one of those.That date is around my oldest reale also. You know,we give the mexicans hell for being over...but if you get right down to it...the Spaniards were the first settlers here in America...and we are visitors,lol. Congrats on the silver!

Thanks Andie, I've been hoping to find one. How many have you found?
dfx willy said:
i had info on reales since i found the 2 reale but i cant find it. if you google it i know its in there somewhere. what a feeling huh. congrats willy.
Hey Thanks, I've been finding some informative info on Google.

Reale sweet find!! Congrats on your first!! Dreams do come true!!

Congratulations on a banner day & a banner find! :thumbsup:

Awesome digs! Could that decorative piece be off of a lcok or latch plate of some kind?

Lowbatts said:
Awesome digs! Could that decorative piece be off of a lcok or latch plate of some kind?
I'm not sure, i thought maybe some sort of piece from a Book binding clasp. Here's some close up pics. think I'll post it in the what is it catagorie too.

Attachments

• What\'s it 3-23-09.jpg
    What\'s it 3-23-09.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • what\'s it back.jpg
    what\'s it back.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,063
real sweet find, how did you bend it flat?

Goes4ever said:
real sweet find, how did you bend it flat?

I placed a wash cloth in boiling water and placed the coin on top of it for a few minutes and while it was still in the water boiling I used a wooden hammer handle with a dish towel over the end to gentle press. It's a crude method you wouldn't want to use it on a rare date coin. I knew I would keep it cause it's my first and that it wasn't a real valuable piece

I figured you would have to heat it to ease the bending, it turned out real nice, congrats!

Congrats on the reale :thumbsup:

Congradulations, One heck of a dream......

That's one reale sweet find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: CONGRATS!

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back