🔎 UNIDENTIFIED New York Leverite?

muddyrover

Jun 18, 2024
Found this sitting in a crack in bedrock while fishing a creek in upstate New York.

I’m thinking blue calcite? Maybe a stalagmite from how the bottom looks? Also the bottom looks kind of like coral to me.

Has no affect on metal detector, magnet, or Geiger counter….
IMG_5483.jpeg
IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg
IMG_5481.jpeg
IMG_5482.jpeg

looks like slag glass..... but some of those pix look like boulder opal too... hard to say, I wouldn't have leaverited it....
I thought slag glass or trinitite… that’s why I put the Geiger counter on it.

It seems like the bottom has fossils.

It’s not translucent with a flashlight, so I would guess not calcite now. The top seems glass-like. Maybe it is slag glass or glass from a fire.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a keeper no matter what it turns out to be...to beautiful to leverite there !!

Upvote 1
Parts look like gypsum is present, definitely indicating it’s a sedimentary stone similar to travertine. I would guess marble in this case. Put some HCL on it and watch it fizz to confirm presence of calcium.

Upvote 0
A large cave network is part of a tributary upstream with underground boat rides.

No smelting history around here.

Hurricane Irene moved lots of dirt and rock in 2011. Complete houses were washed downstream .

I’ll see if we have anything made up of HCl.

Upvote 0
My best guess would be an agate. It looks like the host rock was broken up (brecciated) and filled in with hydrothermal fluids that solidified into that beautiful rock. The back side doesn't look like fossils to me, but it does look like some softer parts of the rock were eroded out. Just based on the blocky shape of the holes in it.

This is an Ellensburg blue agate from our area. Your specimen made me think of these.
1718980322627.png

Great find!!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back