May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its now just about dry enough to get back to the new farm. My general plan on this explore mode venture was to do a large circuit of 6 large fields to understand the lay of the land & track down a hotspot.
As we entered the 3rd field (the other 2 had limited good signs), we looked down from the high ground & saw a spot in the corner that screamed out. It was kind of mound like/high ground off the river flood plain & had a better/larger & green crop growing. This told me it was better drained & likely to be sandy (unlike the mostly clay fields), therefore perfect for Iron Age/Roman/Medieval farming. We bee-lined it over there & bang I picked up my first Scrappy Roman Coin - Grid On!
Spent a total of 3.5 hours detecting although about 2 hours of walking to & from the site. Therefore the 12 Roman Coins were found in about 1.5 hours.

13th C Annular Brooch with Pin (large, only my 2nd whole one, I think)
Medieval D Buckle
Tudor Leather Mount
Tudor Knife Terminal
Medieval & Tudor Thimbles
Roman Mystery piece
Rare Hammered Groat of Mary 1553-4 (sadly very worn)
3 Good Roman Coins (9 scrappies)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 7
Nice assortement of finds! The annular brooch is for sure the find of the day, at least it would be mine! 3 album coins is not bad either.

I truly enjoy a hunt where such a wide assortment of finds come to light. They keep it ever so interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

HH!

Always amazing to see your finds. Thank you and congratulations on your new spot.

Nice follises, are unknown for me, congrats!

Nice follises, are unknown for me, congrats!

They are types I have, but only a couple of each. The 'quinarius' of Allectus (Galley type) is one of my better examples.

Well done Cru ! ..the circular buckles ... used much here since pre-Roman era to the Middle Ages.

Wow! Very nice finds! Looks like a good spot to bleed out!

excellent finds. love those coins.

You had an outstanding day on the Roman coins, plus a nice early silver to boot. Glad to see that your experience on interpretation of the lay of the land paid off again. Nice hunt!

Im jealous.Not only do you have the best Top Gear show on tv,you also have the oldest,coolest coins.Great finds.

Nice finds, It's been way to long since I've done any digging over on your side of the pond. To bad about the Mary but the brooch and those Romans had to ease the pain a bit :)

Love the finds. I bet it doesn't take an hour to walk there next time.

Your not wrong although parking anyway near that field is an issue.

You had an outstanding day on the Roman coins, plus a nice early silver to boot. Glad to see that your experience on interpretation of the lay of the land paid off again. Nice hunt!

As you know, someone had a 15 year head start, so we only found what he left, assuming he hit this spot. Your right its a great feeling when your doing fields each over 100 acres & you zoom right in on the 1 good acre.

Very nice! I might have to come and live with you for a while:laughing7:

As you know, someone had a 15 year head start, so we only found what he left, assuming he hit this spot. Your right its a great feeling when your doing fields each over 100 acres & you zoom right in on the 1 good acre.

To get the feeling for the right spot is the key to successful field hunting and it looks like you have it.... I wish i were better with that, at least i can say where NOT to start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back