May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its now just about dry enough to get back to the new farm. My general plan on this explore mode venture was to do a large circuit of 6 large fields to understand the lay of the land & track down a hotspot.
As we entered the 3rd field (the other 2 had limited good signs), we looked down from the high ground & saw a spot in the corner that screamed out. It was kind of mound like/high ground off the river flood plain & had a better/larger & green crop growing. This told me it was better drained & likely to be sandy (unlike the mostly clay fields), therefore perfect for Iron Age/Roman/Medieval farming. We bee-lined it over there & bang I picked up my first Scrappy Roman Coin - Grid On!
Spent a total of 3.5 hours detecting although about 2 hours of walking to & from the site. Therefore the 12 Roman Coins were found in about 1.5 hours.

13th C Annular Brooch with Pin (large, only my 2nd whole one, I think)
Medieval D Buckle
Tudor Leather Mount
Tudor Knife Terminal
Medieval & Tudor Thimbles
Roman Mystery piece
Rare Hammered Groat of Mary 1553-4 (sadly very worn)
3 Good Roman Coins (9 scrappies)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 7
To get the feeling for the right spot is the key to successful field hunting and it looks like you have it.... I wish i were better with that, at least i can say where NOT to start.

Shaun7 can tell you from Detecting Rallies (which I do badly at), that even with hundreds of people, I can cut through 1 field into the next & straight into the middle of a patch of Roman Coins which no-one had found yet. I just get sucked over to these spots like a magnet...

Another amazing day! You dig roman coins like I dig bottlecaps... Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back