New Caney Texas Online Journey

10 yrs. Late but hey I'm a woman.😀

Hello, I grew up in New Caney. Oakley Edition / neighborhood. On the road they call now East Community Drive. We didn't have street names when we're growing up there. They made us get Street names for 911 services. I know alot about this area. In my day we grew up in the woods. We had to be home before dark that was the Only Rule. Good times!
East Community Drive was a sawmill. One of the old man Oakleys buried the SAW steam boiler/engine Back behind the pond. There used a big White House with horses it was about 10 acres. It belonged to his uncle believe. of course it's NOT there & now some funky new house sets there. That Pond is Deep. One of the old Oakley men own & runs the golf course hopefully he still done he was talking about selling it 4yrs.ago. Go there and talk to him he remembers alot about the" GOOD OLD DAYS "Even where the General Store was. The train station he was little but he rode on it to Humble something. When it would rain heavy. Oakley told me. Oh yes the store it was called Michaels General Store or the man owned it name is Michael, I forgot, but he told me.That man had everything in that store! He recalls all these glass bottles.
I call him Oakley because it's his last name. His first name Escapes Me. Growing up New Caney there was a lot of Oakley Brothers. If you ever hear someone refer to Old Man Oakley he was a chiropractor, on Community Drive.. that was his brother. I don't think they really liked each other. The Older Oakleys are dying off quicky not many ate left he could be the only OLD one left. I stopped there maybe four years ago to say hello & talk to him a bit. He can tell you a whole lot about what was out there and where it was! Could have old pictures too.
Please let me know how it turns out.

Met with the local Historian today and visited the Presswood cemetery back off the path (someone replaced the original headstones 20 +years ago) I also went and found an unmarked at a place that they had no idea of (I found it 15 years or so ago ) It was covered with leaves and I swept off all the debris and took a picture. The historical society is now going to see if they can find any info on the place.

I also learned that the original Presswood settlement has never been located. He let me know where it has been rumored to have started and I also backed it up with some data I found at the library.

I will start my search for the original Presswood next week starting by Kayaking the creek that it was rumored to be on.

The hunt is on!

I actually went there yesterday for about an hour and 1/2. I had some time and was close to it. I found nothing on Presswood but did find quite a bit of information on New Caney. I only had a dollar cash so I got to make only 10 copies (cash only) of things I wanted. I found an old picture that seemed to be from the early 1900's of the main town and some misc. pictures of the surroundings. I am hoping to try and hit up a sawmill site soon that I do not think has been looked around yet.

The Montgomery County Historical Society is going to take me to the Presswood Cemetery sometime this week. He says its back in the woods and you have to know where it is to locate it.

How long you there for tmanfromtexas

Met with the local Historian today and visited the Presswood cemetery back off the path (someone replaced the original headstones 20 +years ago) I also went and found an unmarked at a place that they had no idea of (I found it 15 years or so ago ) It was covered with leaves and I swept off all the debris and took a picture. The historical society is now going to see if they can find any info on the place.

I also learned that the original Presswood settlement has never been located. He let me know where it has been rumored to have started and I also backed it up with some data I found at the library.

I will start my search for the original Presswood next week starting by Kayaking the creek that it was rumored to be on.

The hunt is on!

My pops also got me an old 1936 layout (First pic)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back