New and Saying Hello

Cindelicious

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2008
Arkansas
Hi all!
My DH submitted to my declarations of mistreatment and got a metal detector for me for Christmas. Uh, no, I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds like fun!

I think the worst thing for me is going to be finding somewhere to hunt. I'm not from this area originally so I know near nothing about the history. Although I am learning more already because I am trying to research the area some. I have tried looking at topo maps that I have seen people talk about but I guess I just don't have enough sense to figure that out yet. :D

I don't miss "home" often but I do when I try to think about places to hunt. I mean when you are born and raised somewhere you know where you might start looking.

I will find something even if it is wrong! lol I found a wagon wheel in the woods around my house today. Ah you think, a relic of history - horse drawn wagon. Nope - I'm talking red wagon and such. lol It was fun anyway. I always sweep change out my back door. I think I will find it tomorrow after work just for the fun of it.

Good luck to me and you, too!
C

Welcome aboard! If you EVER have any questions, pls feel free to ask your question.....in essence, we ALL are students when it comes to the topic of metal detecting. Take care....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
----Mel

borninok

Cindelicious, it won't be long 'til you'll graduate from little red wagon wheels to pulltabs. Then you'll know you're a real detectorist.
Welcome to T'net.

Nothing wrong with being new! We were all there once. As far as finding somewhere to hunt, you should start out at a school ground or park until you get used to the sounds and how they compare to what you dig.
Before you know it you will be asking us how to post your pictures of finds and making us jealous. ;D ;D
What kind of detector do you have? 8) 8)

Bounty Hunter - The COMMANDO lol And it is camoflauge to boot. It is not actually what I ask for but I am not being picky at this point. I read the book and right now all I have done is turned the right knob all the way to the left and the left knob all the way to the right. I have figured out crinkle crinkle (that's what it sounds like to me) means aluminum best I have dug. :o

To appreciate this, you have to know that I ask for a new digital camera for like 6 months. During this time, my husband got a new boat and a new bow. So when I opened the md, I laughed and told my daughter I could hear the conversation. Her daddy gave her the money and told her "Go get your momma a &*^% metal detector. I am not going to hear about this like I did the digital camera." DD laughed and said "Oh momma, you know us to well." lol

It's good to see new people learning to enjoy this hobbie. There's a ton of places to search near you just pay attention to the area that surrounds you. Look for old house places, city parks or that favorite swimming hole you've been going to since you were a kid, cause chances are your not the only one that's been there. I live in Fayetteville and one of my favorite places to hunt is that grassy strip between the sidewalk and street in the old parts of town. Good luck and keep huntin', don't get discouraged you will dig tons of junk, but when you do find that first old coin or relic it'll all be worth it!

Hello Cindelicious Your near alot of good places to hunt. The Saline River,by the old bridge or below the I 30 bridge where alot of people swim, and you have a lot of old farms around you, just ask and most farmers will let hunt . Welcome and HH

Welcome to TNet. You will enjoy you stay here. Lot of interesting information as well as experienced people willing to help if you need it. Just ask.

Welcome aboard.

Ray S (East Central Florida)

Two tips;

~1. Do a lot of "air testing with your machine while at home and try to get what each item sounds like. Try different settings and get to know your machine so you can get the most out of it. The more you mess with it at home, the less you will be messin' with it in the field.

~2. One of my favorite things to do is to take my wife for drives on the week-end. I am always looking for new construction in the old parts of the towns we travel through. Any place where the ground is disturbed would be a great place to consider--especially where old sidewalks are being replaced etc. Half the fun is finding a place or three to hunt and the other part of it is actually having some neat stuff to hold in your little hand when the day is over. THEN, you can post 'em here and show us what you found.

Welcome to this great hobby. I have found that the true treasure is not in the ground. The second best treasure is in meeting people along the way. The first-most treasure is the good Lord Himself who allows it all to happen. HH

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back