Never seen anything like it

norfolknchance

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking along the beach i found what i thought was a rock,but turnedwd out to be some kind of non magnetic Metal, weighs just over 2 kilos and is around 6 inches width 5 inches height at highest point.Ive tried cutting into it with a disc cutter filied it and it doent touch it disc cutterslides across rather than cut,Has anyone any idea what this could be many thanks daren 011.JPG009.JPG003.JPG

No idea looks like some trashed out lead item to the naked eye by the photo, but lead is soft stuff. You make it sound like the metal is very hard, most of the hard metals I am familiar with are magnetic.

Upvote 0
Could it possibly be a meteorite? sure seems to qualify. Have a look at it under a UV light.

Upvote 0
Most meteorites are magnetic. If of the metal variety. OP says non-magnetic.

Upvote 0
Since your disc cutter couldn't touch it, maybe it could be from space, who knows what sorts of metals could be flying through space? Have you tried a gas axe on it? If that doesn't touch it, might be an idea to get a metalurgist to check it out.

Upvote 0
I believe it it is a water worn Magnesium crystal. Google image search 'Magnesium crystal', you will see the same growth patterns 009.JPG
This would explain your tool having no effect on it. Magnesium is very hard stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe it it is a water worn Magnesium crystal. Google image search 'Magnesium crystal', you will see the same growth patterns View attachment 1161145
This would explain your tool having no effect on it. Magnesium is very hard stuff.
That is an excellent thought. Is magnesium crystal heavy? I know the metal is lighter than aluminum and this piece is heavy. Anyone know?

Upvote 0
Magnesium, although it is lighter than Aluminum is still a metal and dense.
My only experience with the metal was on crusher plates in mining and those plates are very heavy and very tough, just crushing hard rock all day long, sparks and steam shooting out at times.
I also have experienced Dolomite, it has a lot of Magnesium in it and it is hard to bust it up, hitting it with a hammer just makes a ping sound and your hammer kicks back with a strong rebound.
You just don't want Magnesium to catch fire, it converts water/foam and CO2 extinguishers into fuel, so extinguishing methods are limited.

Upvote 0
I didn't think it was as I used small magnet, I got a powerfull magnet and it had slight magnetic pull

Upvote 0
it weighs 3 and a half kilo and is 6 inches in length and 5 at highest point fits in my hand

Upvote 0
That is an excellent thought. Is magnesium crystal heavy? I know the metal is lighter than aluminum and this piece is heavy. Anyone know?
You nailed it on your first reply. It's slag.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back