diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
never ever believe it's hunted out!!!

Was hunting my spot in Cold Harbor this morning and it was COLD! started by finding a bullet, a round ball and a percussion cap. Starting to think at that point that I may need to find a new spot to hunt when I got a faint signal that got louder the deeper I dug. Everyone on this site knows thats a good sign! When I was about 17 inches deep, I saw the unmistakable curve and green patina of a US plate! This is the second one to come out of this site and I am now going to tiptoe my way through and listen to and dig every little beep and blip. Thanks for looking and good luck to everybody!
bklnhol.pngbklfrt1413.pngbklbak1413.png

Upvote 31
WOW 17 inches deep !!!!----rock on -------:occasion14:

Nice plate! The patina on it looks like it's camo!

I think I'd have to dig through that much snow just to get to the dirt! LOL

Awesome plate! :thumbsup:

Our snow is all gone, congrats on that damn nice buckle!! WoW!

Re: never ever believe it's hunted out!!!

Way to stay after it. That's an awesome find.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on pursuing that signal, she is a beaut!

IM

It was face down, but at a slight angle. I'm sure my son and I have walked right past it several times before I picked up the signal. We've had a fair amount of rain lately and I think that helps with the deeper targets.

love that buckle, really good find.................HH

Just got my metal detector my buddy has one and have been goin with him.. I guess I pestered the wife enough because I got one fro Christmas.. I can't wait for the snow to be gone so I can go dig some holes and hopefully have a find like that.. Really cool buckle... Congrats.. This site is great never knew there were so many people out their that enjoyed treasure hunting as much as I do... Hello to all and happy hunting...

whoa! that is beautiful. congrats!

BEAUTIFUL PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS.. HH

Outstanding find... I travelled thru Va. to DC to research between 1987-91. I camped at Manassas, in a park with detector in car but never got chance to use it because research trip was budgeted and time consuming. In 1991, I returned to Va, with family, after a quick 3-day research to finalize my work, I travelled to Jamestown and camped at the Mill campground. Saw a museum in the old mill store and was given info on Cold Harbor and who to ask. Went there, fields were already harvested and clean, and I was turned down. Seemed like everywhere I asked, both there and along the James River, was ing most everyone away back then. However, time changes things. Those property owners at Cold Harbor had long since passed and I guess many of these fields are now open again. I'm glad to see the area is still producing. In 1991 I had a White's VLF and a Garret Master Hunter. And I found CW relics with each while vacationing in Tennessee during the mid-70's to mid-80's. Today I use the Explorer and know it well. I think modern tech. is why relics are being discovered. At a Fla. Seminole War fort, I detected and dug a coat button w/ Explorer at eighteen inches-came down aside it and measured its depth-as well as its location. Last time I used it, I dug a musket ball quite deep-after removing it, got a whisper, dug another 15-inches and located a side piece to a powder flask. I'm sure in any CW site where trenching was involved, there are many deep relics waitng to be found as technology improves. In Fla., I use coil sizes on various detectors from 5-inches to the 15-inch W-O-T.

nice looking buckle.....congrats

Wow huge congrats on the plate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back