Needing help on Silver Pin......... WW2??

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Was hunting in the middle of a hay field in southeast Kansas when I came across this. Didn't think much of it at first, other than what the heck it was doing there, but my hunting partner suggested it possibly represented the Navy Sea Bees from WWII. It's 1 1/4" tall and 7/8" wide. The back says, "MACO., BOCH., N.Y.,Sterling". The "C" in either word could possibly be a "G".
Interested in age, and who specifically wore them? Was it the wives of these men? Were they issued special, or could anyone pick one up to wear??

Thanks for any and all info.
Regards,
Jules

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 968
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,109
Hi guys, this is interesting to me also, being a newbie, maybe I shouldn't jump in like this. My father was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class when he entered the CB's in 42'. As I recall, he was with the 57th CB Battalion thru mid-summer of 43" and came home on leave for 20 days and transfered to the 23rd CB Battalion and shipped out to Okinawa just before the main landing behind the Marines. He made the New Hebrades(sp) Islands landing w/the 57th in mid 42'. To cut this short all the CB patches I saw on his uniforms showed a CB with the Bee in an almost horizontal position with a Thompson Sub-machine gun, a wrench, a jackhammer (thus the hose)and a ballpeen hammer in his hands, and the Bee wore a round white cap that the naval personnel (enlisted lower rank still wear today). Tho my dad has passed on, they are still a lot of those guys alive today, and still having reunions today, and yes they were fighters as well as construction men building fighter and bomber strips while getting shot at, as well as killed while doing a very unrewarding job. Sorry if I sound a little gungho about it, but I've always been very proud of what he did over there for over 3 years. Thanks for letting me spout off. A 27+ years military man. olegator34

Upvote 0
well the pins been found out --- its a "beechcraft" aircraft factory workers pin -- its a "award of merit" or "atta girl" basically for doing a great job --- remember that the factory "production" workers were mainly women during the war --- thus its a womens pin-- the leaf is a "beech" leaf -- (beechcraft-- get it) the bee is similar to the CB bee but has a airgun / rivet gun --instead of a machine gun and has a "b" on the shoulder (beechcraft) -- also it explains the "blue print" design in the background --- aircraft blue prints for "making" planes --- Ivan

Upvote 0
This thread is super old. That said, my mom found the exact pin in a wooded area also in southeast Kansas when she was young. She gave it to me last year. Also the one I have is in very good condition comparatively. It's pretty cool to find out more on the pin, so thanks y'all.image.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back