Needing help on Silver Pin......... WW2??

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Was hunting in the middle of a hay field in southeast Kansas when I came across this. Didn't think much of it at first, other than what the heck it was doing there, but my hunting partner suggested it possibly represented the Navy Sea Bees from WWII. It's 1 1/4" tall and 7/8" wide. The back says, "MACO., BOCH., N.Y.,Sterling". The "C" in either word could possibly be a "G".
Interested in age, and who specifically wore them? Was it the wives of these men? Were they issued special, or could anyone pick one up to wear??

Thanks for any and all info.
Regards,
Jules

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 968
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,109
diggummup said:
Edward said:
And he is standing in front of a propeller for an airplane.
Yes it is a propeller isn't it? The plot thickens!
Looking at it once again, I do think it's a prop behind the gun and hammer. Amazing how much detail I've missed.......

Upvote 0
downindixie said:
I believe it comes from the 13th seabees.It looks like a 13 on its shoulder.
I just looked at the shoulder under a loop, and can't decide if it's a "B" or a fancy shape of a "13". If I had to guess, I'd say it's a "B" though......

Upvote 0
downindixie said:
I believe it comes from the 13th seabees.It looks like a 13 on its shoulder.

13th NCB (Special)

After brief training periods at Camp Peary, Gulfport and Hueneme, the first echelon of the 13th Special arrived at Pearl Harbor Nov. 27, 1943, and was joined by the second echelon on Jan. 2. 1944. The Battalion worked at Pearl for five months, and then shipped out to Guam. the first echelon leaving June 1, and the second, June 18. The two sections reached Guam July 27 and Aug. 10 respectively. The 13th was still stevedoring on Guam at the war's end.

Tony

Upvote 0
Very informative..........
Maybe the shoulder insignia is supposed to look both like a "B" AND a "13". Under a loop, the top of the number three touches and runs past the number one, with a curl to the left of it. At the bottom, the three has a curl just to the right of the number one, touching it........

Upvote 0
Earlier in the thread someone suggested that the background on the pin was a road map but it looks more like a blueprint. This would fall in-line with some of the comments later in the thread where the motto of the Seabees stated that "we build it".

The arrows are to show measurements of lines that are used to mark dimensions on a print, you will also see that some of the lines are dashed with one going through the center of the propeller. I have used

Autocad to make drawings for factory layouts and a few other things these lines and arrows are used to show dimensions but, I would assume older hand drawn prints used these same types of symbols.

Attachments

• lines.JPG
    lines.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0
NOT MILITARY, that's air tool/ air hammer/rivet gun/. wrench and hammer. Has a B patch on sleeve. MY GUESS, made right after WWII by private construction company who had logo modeled after seabees. Most likely Steel / iron fabricators who erected bridges, buildings, etc. And the leaf design might mean something too.

Upvote 0
uh folks --- the sea bees were very famous for building and repairing runways and airbases in the pacific during the war (guam?) that was their main purpose during the war ---- a air powered tool ( rivet gun / air hammer) -- the hammer and wrench all very common tools of their trade -- note the air plane prop !!! --the "b" 13 --(they often used premade " metal patches" to rapidly repair bomb damaged landing strips during the war-- and built "prefab" buildings using the " power tools -- rivet guns and air hammers" ---note the WW2 era seaman style "enlisted mans" cap on the bee --- it most likely a varient of the "offical" sea bee design (using a air tool instead of the machine gun -being the jeweler didn't want to "remind" the women it was made for of the war or of upsetting someone who lost a son) most likely a "sweet heart pin" for a girl freind or wife or mother of WW2 era sea bee Ivan

Upvote 0
I thought it was gas nozzle, too. Maybe an old advertisement pin from the Exxon Corporation before they became Exxon...

If you recall, they used to be called Esso.

That would make this pin... (are you ready?)...

A real Esso Bee to identify... ::) ;D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Great job on the ID!!!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
MilitaryCollector said:
It's not even a sweetheart item, it's a Beachcraft Aircraft Corporation production pin

given out to workers.

Beechcraft Aircraft Corporation!

That's exactly what it says on my post link. Thank you for the verification.

Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back