Needing help on Silver Pin......... WW2??

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Was hunting in the middle of a hay field in southeast Kansas when I came across this. Didn't think much of it at first, other than what the heck it was doing there, but my hunting partner suggested it possibly represented the Navy Sea Bees from WWII. It's 1 1/4" tall and 7/8" wide. The back says, "MACO., BOCH., N.Y.,Sterling". The "C" in either word could possibly be a "G".
Interested in age, and who specifically wore them? Was it the wives of these men? Were they issued special, or could anyone pick one up to wear??

Thanks for any and all info.
Regards,
Jules

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 968
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,109
Looks more like the bee is pumping gas, washing windshields and wrenching on a car...probably a gas station promo item...

Upvote 0
'MACO ROCH NY" is a mark used by the Metal Arts Company, Rochester, New York.

Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
Looks more like the bee is pumping gas, washing windshields and wrenching on a car...probably a gas station promo item...
the bee is holding the "gas pump" with two hands, much like one would hold a machine gun. Not a gas nozzle. Also, his other hands are holding a hammer and a wrench. I don't see where you get he's washing a windshield?? Last, the item is marked "sterling". That would be an overly expensive promotional means , wouldn't it? I appreciate your imput, but I hope you're wrong.
regards,
Jules

Upvote 0
Sorry...I thought the ball and peen hammer was a window squeegie. Regardless he is still holding a gas nozzle and a couple tools...that says garage to me...just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0
...and the overall shape of the pin is what appears to be a birch leaf...

I keep seeing more...excuse the multiple posts!

Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
...and the background looks like a road map...
You might have somthing there. I'm reluctant to admit it, but it does look like a roadmap in the background. I'm still holding out that the "gas pump" is actually a machine gun :)
I'm not fimiliar with older promotional items, but making them out of silver seems cost prohibitive, even 40 or so years ago.

Upvote 0
PBK said:
'MACO ROCH NY" is a mark used by the Metal Arts Company, Rochester, New York.
Probably trying tooo hard to make this something it's not, but the MA company seems to of been around for many years, and they've evidently had contracts with the government, based on a Google search.

Upvote 0
We all hope for the best with these mystery finds but we all must accept the truth...should it ever be found. I'm thinking gas nozzle because of the hose running from the nozzle. However, I have been Googling like mad and cannot find a match. The clues are all there...just need the research. I'm sure the shape of the pin, birch leaf, is a big clue as to it's identity. Someone here should be able to ID it very quickly...unlike myself there are a bunch of apt researchers at your disposal here. Good luck!

Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
I'm thinking gas nozzle because of the hose running from the nozzle.
I now see that as well. It's alway nice to have an impartial judge at your disposal :)
This little guy is convincing though, with the blue background and all.......
These two pics were just secured by a friend of mine.

Attachments

• bee1.jpg
    bee1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 914
  • bee2.jpg
    bee2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 911
Upvote 0
I think this is probably a Seabees sweetheart pin, although it might be a cap DI. At any rate, there are many variations on the Seabee insignia, but it generally depicts a striped bee with (1) a machine gun, (2) a hammer, and (3) a wrench.

006.JPG Mag-501.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm starting to sway to your guess of the Seabee...it's just the hose that is keeping me from jumping in all the way! It sure is similar to the Seabee.

Upvote 0
...he does look ticked off like the Seabee so I can't really see a gas station handing out pissed off bee pins...hmmmm

Upvote 0
PBK said:
although it might be a cap DI.
Forgive me for my naivety, but what exactly is a cap DI? The only phrase that comes to mind, militarily speaking is that DI stands for "Drill Instructor"

Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
...he does look ticked off like the Seabee so I can't really see a gas station handing out pissed off bee pins...hmmmm
Well, as I recall, back when "self-serve" wasn't even a word yet, I do recall, most gas attendants never were really very happy to be pumping gas on a rainy or snowy day, but I agree, it doesn't make for a very good "positive" marketing scheme....... :)

Upvote 0
DI in this instance stands for distinctive insignia— the unique crest, emblem, logo, etc. of a particular military unit. A cap DI is a distinctive insignia pin which is worn on a cap. DI's may also be worn on collars. True DI's are officially authorized; however, there are also many unofficial sweetheart and novelty "DI" pins, buttons, badges, etc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back