jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, I need some advice here. I hunted a local park this morning for about 45 minutes, and these are my finds. Thing is, these are just the ones that I kept, I tossed I (in a trashcan of course) don't know how many fork/spoon handles, old pieces of glass bottles and broken porcelain mason jar lids. I found enough old broken bottles while digging targets that I got tired of walking the glass to the trashcan. Also, targets are EVERYWHERE. You can't walk two feet without getting a signal that's too hard to pass up.

My question is, does this site sound like it has ever been dug to you guys? I was thinking that if it had been hunted before, that signals would be few and far between like most other local parks. Also thought it was weird that I only found the one penny (1960). With all this stuff that I'm finding, you have got to believe that silver is in there somewhere.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 1
Hard to say. Anyone who would have hunted it before would have hit the same targets as you.

Sounds to me like there may be multiple layers of stuff there. I'd keep digging there. Don't throw anything away (other than broken glass and aluminum cans) until you get home and can sort it. Even plated silverware fragments can tell a story about the area.

True, it was kinda my fault as I forgot my pouch to put things in and I could only carry so much at a time. Got tired of trying to fit everything into my pocket. LOL...

I have all intentions of going back maybe next weekend and spend some time there just to see what I can actually find with a little effort.

Just guessing here. I've hunted places before and have found relics and clad, and quite a bit of it. When I don't find silver it makes me think someone has already beat me to it. Maybe even years ago. Cherry picking, I think is what they call it.

I thought the exact same thing RJ55. I'm hoping that they left a little for me. Lol..

Probably cherry picked. I would work around all the big trees and were they cast a shadow from noon to 3 pm. Any slopes even if only just a slight difference. People liked the shade.

Go with your gut feelings, there could be silver there, even if it was "cherry picked", just maybe not allot. I found my biggest coin spill of old coins at a spot that I know was pounded by bus loads of metal detectors.

Cherrypicked, but if there is that much trash there, there are going to be some goodies left. Dig it all and see what pops out.

:hello2: Keep at it & go back several times! :hello2: I found gold & silver in the midst of junk & old nails after digging it all! The best gold ring had been underground for decades at a frequently-detected small beach -- but nobody else had been willing to detect though small iron crud up against giant iron crud, lol -- I dug that gold ring below a badly corroded old spoon in the same hole -- a thin skin of iron covered the gold ring from its long burial surrounded by iron. I mutter to myself while digging the junk, but then -- whee! the good stuff emerges! You're gonna find some real treasures there! Please keep us posted. Helps to carry a small plastic bag to put the junk in as that way you don't have to run back & forth to dispose of junk. Have Fun! :icon_thumright: Andi

I would just keep diggin'. People find great stuff in "hunted out" sites every day.

A target area is basically a very small speck on the ground in a large area. There's always the chance that not every square inch has been hit. All you need to do is go slow and hopefully swing over the tiny spots that others may have not been so careful to thoroughly hunt.

I would definitely keep the spot on the list. You're digging some old stuff so you know it has potential.

Dig those "trash" signals too. It could always be gold or there could be gold, silver and other goodies lying beneath the trash. I've found quite a few nice finds after removing all of the junk first, including an 1881 IH, an 1899 V Nickel and a few gold rings. I swear by it. Gold can read exactly like foil, pull tabs and other trash. I dug one just yesterday that read as foil on my machine.

And ultimately, you'll never really know until you dig that hole.

Plus, the very worst case scenario is that you make the park a cleaner place for everyone and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
And DON'T THROW A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G away! Just designate an old coffee can or something for the stuff you think is junk. WAY too many stories of people going back through it and finding a gem!

Garrett424 said it well! With that many signals something is gonna be "masked". Silver coins and gold rings are waiting, no place to hide is what I say. Think outside the box, hunt the border fringe areas. Many hunters go right to the middle of the hunt area. Good luck and keep us posted!

Its a dump for sure. I would carefully clean all finds and dig everything. You will end up working small areas at first, but the good targets are there. I have a friend who is king in those areas with his AT Pro. My F75 does ok, but the iron disc on the AT Pro will give you a run for your money.

sounds like a good spot that will eventually turn up some good finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back