Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this earlier this week at a site that's been producing finds from the 1700s up to the very early 1800s, and have had a hard time ID'ing it. By looking in Albert's the only ones I see that have the shield on the left and the eagle facing right are the very early ones (NA6, etc). But none seem to match up well with mine, and all have some kind of backmark while mine has none. Also, mine is cuff size (15mm), and nothing that small is shown in the book. And Tice doesn't seem to go back that far on Navy buttons. Can anyone specifically ID it? Thanks.

Attachments

• navy btn1a.JPG
    navy btn1a.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 144
  • navy btn1b.JPG
    navy btn1b.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 123
Bill....Your button looks to be a variation of the NA 6 series. If you scroll about half way down this link you'll see a 15mm cuff with no back mark. It's close (except for mold line), yours may be one of the variants. Definitely not a button you see every day. Excellent find! Good luck with future hunts...Archie

1798-1810 US Navy Button
George Washington 1789 Inaugural Button

Thanks for that link Archie! I'm gonna save that one for future reference. And I think you're right - that 15mm button is pretty darn close to mine, and I agree with the NA6 variant theory. Thanks again for the help.

Also, while we're talking about navy buttons, I found this one many years ago and even the experts haven't been able to positively ID it. Someone did think it was French navy, but can't seem to verify that. It was found at a site here in eastern Va that saw both colonial and CW activity. Do you have any thoughts? Thanks again ..... Bill

french navy4.JPG

french navy5.JPG

Upvote 0
Bill....Your button looks to be a variation of the NA 6 series. If you scroll about half way down this link you'll see a 15mm cuff with no back mark. It's close (except for mold line), yours may be one of the variants. Definitely not a button you see every day. Excellent find! Good luck with future hunts...Archie

1798-1810 US Navy Button
George Washington 1789 Inaugural Button

Bill, the 15mm NA 6-Bv cuff button on that site is my find FYI....................

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back