✅ SOLVED Need help with three objects

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been a few years since my last request for help, but I know this is the place to come to for the pros to figure out.
Found all three items in a sandy soil matrtix within a 30' dia. The middle, Victorian looking item is 6.25" X 3.5", probably stamped copper, weighs 50g or 1.8 oz. The heavy duty, heavily rusted cap has 2" dia. The folded woven cloth is lightweight but strong with no tears. It was dug up with the cloth still lightly attached inside the cap as shown in the first two pics, but quite damp. The four ring lead, slug looking thing is .350" X .565", weighs 9.2g. What are they and what were they used for? Could they all have be from the same time period?

Attachments

• 20240906_160136.jpg
    20240906_160136.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20240906_155848.jpg
    20240906_155848.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 20240906_150613.jpg
    20240906_150613.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • 20240906_150053.jpg
    20240906_150053.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20240906_150220.jpg
    20240906_150220.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
It's been a few years since my last request for help, but I know this is the place to come to for the pros to figure out.
Found all three items in a sandy soil matrtix within a 30' dia. The middle, Victorian looking item is 6.25" X 3.5", probably stamped copper, weighs 50g or 1.8 oz. The heavy duty, heavily rusted cap has 2" dia. The folded woven cloth is lightweight but strong with no tears. It was dug up with the cloth still lightly attached inside the cap as shown in the first two pics, but quite damp. The four ring lead, slug looking thing is .350" X .565", weighs 9.2g. What are they and what were they used for? Could they all have be from the same time period?
Only one I can help with is the bullet, all signs point to a .38 caliber wadcutter, likely from a .38 Special. It appears to be swaged, as there's no sign of a casting sprue. They've been around for ages, so I can't give you any kind of accurate date range. The style was adapted for target shooting, to cut a clean, full caliber hole in paper. Lots of luck on the others!!!

Upvote 7
They appear to be old fence or house molding to me, the one being a cap for a post. But cant be for sure. Good luck!!

Upvote 3
Only one I can help with is the bullet, all signs point to a .38 caliber wadcutter, likely from a .38 Special. It appears to be swaged, as there's no sign of a casting sprue. They've been around for ages, so I can't give you any kind of accurate date range. The style was adapted for target shooting, to cut a clean, full caliber hole in paper. Lots of luck on the others!!!
Thanks. I thought it may be some kind of bullet but have never seen one like it before.

Upvote 1
They appear to be old fence or house molding to me, the one being a cap for a post. But cant be for sure. Good luck!!
Thanks. A house or fence molding seems logical. This was my first time detecting in this area and I don't recall ever finding anything like these objects anywhere before.

Upvote 0
the rusty one looks like an axle grease cap, View attachment 2167273
It does look very much like a grease cap. Perhaps whoever used it last, stuffed the rag he was using into it years ago. The cloth was folded, and it's strange that it's still so intact. Thanks

Upvote 3
The one with the design, looks like possibly the back from a small, ornate hand mirror.
I certainly looks like it could have been. Thanks

Upvote 0
There's no slot in it. What did you have in mind?
If it's the wrong diameter for a grease cap... Maybe a smudge pot cap.
The rag looks like a common, cotton handkerchief weave.
I bought some old patio smudge pots and someone had put a cotton rag in one cap and some paper in the other...

Upvote 1
If it's the wrong diameter for a grease cap... Maybe a smudge pot cap.
The rag looks like a common, cotton handkerchief weave.
I bought some old patio smudge pots and someone had put a cotton rag in one cap and some paper in the other...
I think ticndig got it right, that it's a wheel bearing cap. It's out of round, but it appears that if circular, it would measure 1-7/8" at the lip, which is a standard size for trailers, plus I couldn't find any examples of smudge pots that looked like it.
Now I wonder if the guy who last held this cap was using it to hold his hankerchief, or did he use the hankerchief to wipe off his hands before stuffing it in the cap, though there doesn't appear to be any sign of grease on it. Also, bearing caps have been zinc plated or galvanized coated for years. I assume whatever it came off of, must have been 60s or earlier. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 1
Below is a pic of your find (L) and a powder flask (R). The exterior pattern looks similar to me. Yours looks like someone took a whole one apart and flattened it (or maybe it was flattened in the ground). Even if not part of a powder flask, you find is very cool.

Attachments

• Find v powder flask.jpg
    Find v powder flask.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 5
Below is a pic of your find (L) and a powder flask (R). The exterior pattern looks similar to me. Yours looks like someone took a whole one apart and flattened it (or maybe it was flattened in the ground). Even if not part of a powder flask, you find is very cool.
Unbelievable! Great research! The area of FL where this was found dates back several hundred years. I never expected to find something like this. Now everything I dig there will be done with expectation and caution. Thank you. This thread is now solved!

Upvote 4
Unbelievable! Great research! The area of FL where this was found dates back several hundred years. I never expected to find something like this. Now everything I dig there will be done with expectation and caution. Thank you. This thread is now solved!
You're welcome. The credit goes to a Google Image search. Although I've tried it on several "What is its" this is one of the few times it has found something similar.

Upvote 0
Wow, Great I.D.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back