Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3654.jpeg
IMG_3655.jpeg
IMG_3656.jpeg
IMG_3661.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg
I was detecting an area that had activity from as early as 1760. It is near the shore and I also pulled up some melted lead and a large rivet. I found 20+ hand forged wrought copper nails. The .58 caliber Civil War bullet was found along side the other musket balls, as was the underwear button. I placed the .58 caliber bullet next to the round balls for scale purposes.

The small domed (button) piece is 9 mm (no lettering visible)
The small ball is 11 mm
The medium ball is 14 mm
The 4 hole button is 16 mm (no lettering visible)

Can anyone help me identify the age of the musket balls and the identify the small brass domed item?

Are both of the round balls lead? One looks like it might be iron. You can measure to get the caliber, but the smaller one looks too small to be a musketball, may be from a muzzleloading rifle though. As far as age that's tough to say, they are still in use today, and there doesn't appear to be any patina on the smaller one.

Upvote 3
Are both of the round balls lead? One looks like it might be iron. You can measure to get the caliber, but the smaller one looks too small to be a musketball, may be from a muzzleloading rifle though. As far as age that's tough to say, they are still in use today, and there doesn't appear to be any patina on the smaller one.
Good call. The small one has more gloss, and is not lead (or different type of lead). I originally thought it was a ball bearing but the surface is blemished, not totally symmetrical and not machine made. So then I thought maybe it was an alloy or pewter. You hear stories of any metal being melted for bullets…

I cleaned it again. I’m not sure what the metal is. One picture shows it compared to a lead ball of comparable size. I also added a modern Pachinko machine ball, which is the same size as a ball bearing.
IMG_3667.jpegIMG_3666.jpegIMG_3669.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Good call. The small one has more gloss, and is not lead. I originally thought it was a ball bearing but the surface is blemished, not totally symmetrical and not machine made. So then I thought maybe it was an alloy or pewter. You hear stories of any metal being melted for bullets…

I cleaned it again. I’m not sure what the metal is. One picture shows it compared to a lead ball of comparable size. I also added a modern Pachinko machine ball, which is the same size as a ball bearing.
View attachment 2164658View attachment 2164659View attachment 2164669
Not trying to speak for the previous poster, but had the same thoughts as him (I think) ...I would have guessed the larger ball iron and the smaller ball a modern lead roundball due to lack of patina. Have you tried a magnet on either of them? As for the “button” I’m not certain but could be the front/top half of a snap.

Upvote 3
Not trying to speak for the previous poster, but had the same thoughts as him (I think) ...I would have guessed the larger ball iron and the smaller ball a modern lead roundball due to lack of patina. Have you tried a magnet on either of them? As for the “button” I’m not certain but could be the front/top half of a snap.
ncsuwolf,

Great idea. Small ball sticks to the magnet...

The larger ball does not.

Thanks again!

Upvote 2
Exactly what I was thinking!

Upvote 1
ncsuwolf,

Great idea. Small ball sticks to the magnet...

The larger ball does not.

Thanks again!
Do you have any way to 1) weigh the larger ball, and 2) if necessary, provide a better/closer measurement? 14mm works out to .55”, and that seems to be an odd diameter for a roundball

Upvote 1
Do you have any way to 1) weigh the larger ball, and 2) if necessary, provide a better/closer measurement? 14mm works out to .55”, and that seems to be an odd diameter for a roundball
Remeasured

Upvote 0
Remeasured again (micrometer), and I keep getting the same measurement: 14mm/.55 caliber
Congratulations….you have reached the end of my knowledge on this subject (it was a quick trip). If it is a projectile it’s too big for a .54 (unless it has a crap-ton of patina) and likely too small for a .58……not sure how many .58s shot rounds balls. Only thing I have left…..if it is a musketball it could be some homemade/homegrown variant for a civilian piece. Hopefully someone else can help.

Upvote 0
Looks like a mini ball and the round ones could be musket balls. Are they lead ?

Upvote 0
Original rifles weren't in standard calibers like today, .56 woldn't be unusual. Gunmakers often included a ball mould to fit the rifle along with the gun.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back