Need Help with Iding British Military Button

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recovered what appears to be a British Military Button....On on side there appears to be two crossed anchors? The other side has a Royal Crown and the words: TRIPLE GILT STANDARD COLOURS. It appears to be gold plated. Any help with the identity of this button and time period would be appreciated....Also found a toasted King George 111 Penny. The button has not been cleaned.

100_1895.JPG100_1889.JPG

Last edited:
I've gone blank. Forgot....

Its late 1700s, for starters, & I know IP knows the answer, ask him.

Upvote 0
According to the following website, your 1-piece brass button showing crossed anchors (without crown) inside an oval-shaped border is a British Royal Navy Purser's button, in use from 1807-1812. Scroll down to the third row of buttons at this webpage:
Diana's Buttons - Reference - British Navy Buttons

Upvote 0
Funny we've found several of the Royal Navy Master buttons (1 big anchor with two small) but never a Purser. If you haven't found any of the regular officer types I'm sure you will.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I'm weak when it comes to knowledge on buttons since I'm mostly a coin hunter. But I've found a site where the British use to target practice during that time period. Found two King George 111 toasted pennys there as well but my headphones quit and will have to return later this week.....Grrrrr...Hope there are other goodies as well...Thanks again....If anything else of interest is found, I'll definitely post... BTW...What is the best way to clean it? Or should it be left as found?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I'm weak when it comes to knowledge on buttons since I'm mostly a coin hunter. But I've found a site where the British use to target practice during that time period. Found two King George 111 toasted pennys there as well but my headphones quit and will have to return later this week.....Grrrrr...Hope there are other goodies as well...Thanks again....If anything else of interest is found, I'll definitely post... BTW...What is the best way to clean it? Or should it be left as found?

A few minutes in lemon juice with a little brushing, and then soap and water to rinse, and you will have a nice button. Whatever is is there for gilt will shine.

Must be a halfpenny you found? Unless it's 1800s and a large coin. The usual size coppers are halfpennies.

Upvote 0
Sweet button...I like it !!!

Always easy to get a proper ID on here for a button. Many knowledgeable folks ....makes the site even more appealing !

Gl...hope you find some more .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back