Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0
dahut said:
There is also some chatter on some of the Garrett forums that the 250 has been modified to be smoother and allow you to run the SENS close to wide open without all the "jitters." I dont know more about this. But it may be a reason to upgrade if true.
I just bought my unit from Kellyco. Maybe that is why it was on sale, to clear out old stock. :-\

Yea kind of reminds me of when I got this computer. It was a good, current model until I took it home and plugged it in. By that time it was obsolete.

I just bought my unit from Kellyco. Maybe that is why it was on sale, to clear out old stock.

The word among the cognescenti is that all Ace 250's are the same - there are no mods being added to the newer Aces. Now, some of the top Garrett models coming out have a chip change in them to handle extreme GB conditions, thanks to feedback coming out of Oz. But, not the little Aces. If you can run wide open with one, it is likely more to do with your soil(s) and/or trash quotient that anything else. Theyre typically Good Stuff Garrett.

Kellyco, on the other hand, has something of a mixed rep. Some folk report having been burned by them, but then there are those that will never be happy. A few others have what I would call legitimate gripes, which Kellyco hasnt rectified the way a good seller should. Then there are still others, and there are a lot of them, who say Kellyco has it goin' on and does it all right.

I have an Ace 250 and use it alot. As for Kellyco - I dunno, I dont buy from them.

dahut said:
There is also some chatter on some of the Garrett forums that the 250 has been modified to be smoother and allow you to run the SENS close to wide open without all the "jitters." I dont know more about this. But it may be a reason to upgrade if true.
So this is just chatter? No truth to it?

No truth. Garrett has a chip set change for the 1350/1500/2500 that affects the operation of the ground tracking in these units to make it more responsive, hence quicker and smoother. This is as a result of information from Australia, where they experience some of the worst mineralization around.

Garrett is adding the new chips to the detectors now in production and will retrofit your existing 1350/1500/2500 for $40 + ppd. This is a good company responding to market demand - that's typical Garrett, in case you didn't know. Super company. If you are interested, call them and ask about it. They'll help you determine if you need it.

However, none of this affects the ACE 250 yet. There are no changes coming to the tracking on the ACE - after all, it doesn't have AutoTrack features. It has a preset, "average GB" arrangement.

It's a shame you figured out your ACE 250, I was going to offer you a $100 to take off you hands so you could be happy again.

Of course I will be in Florida the first week of January if you want to entertain my offer!

Goes to show, this post can help save you money, too.

hey big, nice to see your still hear,
sorry to hear about your dilema with the bottle tops,
iam not sure what it could be, maybe the machine is faulty or its the threshold,
hope you get it sorted out,,
all the best paul.

Hi bigcypresshunter
Happy New Year to you and yours!
If the Ace is anything like a Whites DFX what you have is a 'one-way signal'. When this happens to my Whites DFX I flip my toggle switch to depth and zero in on a deep target. As I relic hunt my finds are normally a deep cuff button or bullet. I really don't care what I find as long as it is Civil War or older. I TH with my two buddies and have explained this to both of them and the finds has grown by leaps and bounds. Don't walk away from any potential find. If you can hear anything then there is something to be found! I won't say that 100% of the time it will be a good item but there will be something there to be found. I dig up every target, it matters not to me if I have trash or treasure but I do not walk away from anything.
Be safe and do good in all you do.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Hi bigcypresshunter
Happy New Year to you and yours!
If the Ace is anything like a Whites DFX what you have is a 'one-way signal'. When this happens to my Whites DFX I flip my toggle switch to depth and zero in on a deep target. As I relic hunt my finds are normally a deep cuff button or bullet. I really don't care what I find as long as it is Civil War or older. I TH with my two buddies and have explained this to both of them and the finds has grown by leaps and bounds. Don't walk away from any potential find. If you can hear anything then there is something to be found! I won't say that 100% of the time it will be a good item but there will be something there to be found. I dig up every target, it matters not to me if I have trash or treasure but I do not walk away from anything.
Be safe and do good in all you do.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

If I dug all my signals my arms would fall off here in Kentucky ( The pull tab capital of the world )
I have to think hard before I dig most times.

I, too, have recently purchased an ACE 250. And mine does the same thing. However, I have figured this out. When the front of the coil passes over something, it usually rings in on a high frequency, but once you move over the target, it will ID the target. Now, if it is doing it in "ALL METALS", then there is a target very deep. The pinpointer will pick up on the target if you do not get a repeatable signal. Pinpoint it, dig a 4" deep plug and then rescan the hole, you should get a repeatable signal then.

I usually find this in "coin mode" and it rings, then no repeat, but when I look at the screen, it is lighting up "iron".

Anyway, crank the sensativity up, approach the target area in 4 directions, stomp the ground and be sure to change to all metals. Then pinpoint, pull the plug and repeat.

As a side note, really, really, really deep corroted pennies will do give you machine heck.

I like the Ace. I search in the jewelry mode to eliminate ferrous and never use full sensitivity. I still dig crown caps. It seems useless in high trash areas because it picks up every small piece of aluminum and foil. I have trouble pinpointing. Maybe a sniper coil would help. But overall I am happy. Here are some of my beach trench finds:

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 223

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back